I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

beginer questions
Posted by: Daniel Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 10:26AM

I recently finished my first rod a 6ft loomis ultralight, and must say its one of the most rewarding things Ive ever done. I must thank Tom Kirkman very much for writing his book on rodbuilding it made the entire process much easier than I ever thought it could be. Now to the questions, after wrapping all the guides I applied the color preserver the color of the thread turned a lot darker and duller than before is this going to always happen? Does NCP thread look brighter in the long run vs. regualr thread? And finally it seemed to me as I was building my first rod everything I did whould have been a lot easier had it been on larger rod like a surf rod, which is going to be my next project. Thanks for any help.

Daniel Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beginer questions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 12:03PM

You're hooked now!!!!!
With CP, the color should end up pretty much the same color as it was on the spool. When the CP is first applied, it will be dark and dull, when it dries, it should look pretty much like it looked on the spool. You need to pack well and saturate your thread with the CP.

NCP will never look as "bright" as regular thread since it is actually opaque. It always reminded me of flat paint, lacking the brilliance of the nylon (my opinion)
I know what you mean about the small rods! I do mostly U/L. light and mediums and sometimes envy the guys doing the surf rods! Bot a lot of room to work with on the small ones, but one of Billy V's beauties would really look silly fishing for lake perch!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2005 12:06PM by Mike Barkley.

Re: beginer questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2005 02:19PM

Regular nylon will tend to lose some brightness and sparkle after the CP has been applied, but it will come back up once you put the finish on it.

Do keep in mind that light colored thread over dark colored blanks may lose a shade of brightness, but regular nylon is nearly always brighter and has more sparkle than NCP, which tends to look more like paint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster