I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13 ft surfcasting rod
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-83-32-249.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:55AM

I've a request to build a 13 ft sufcasting rod. It's to cast 5 oz and to be used with a baitcasting reel (Avet), so guides would be in "casting" style.

Commonly used surfcasting rods in Spain go from 13'6" to 16"6". I've seen this sizes are not common in the US so it's not easy to find suitable blanks.

I've thought about Purglas blanks, but this is the first surf rod I have to build and would need some advices:

- Wich black could I choose (2 pieces to really cast 5 oz)?
- Advice about guides for this "casting" style?.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13 ft surfcasting rod
Posted by: Ron Snell (---.dsl.perigee.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:20AM

Daniel, I mainly build surfrods here in North Carolina and I might first ask if this is a customer in the US, a 13' rod for 5oz. seems it bit long but to each his own. There are a ton of great blanks on the market for this weight but all are shorter lenght rods. Do you know if your customer is planning on throwing metal/lures or is this a rod for cutbait ? The Purglass is an option because they do have 13' rods in that weight range, also check out a Breakaway/Rainshadow 1508, I have used this rod from 5oz to eight and bait and it's one of the best blanks around for the money. The 1508's are advertised at 12'6" but they come from the factory at 13'6" I believe, I have always had to trim the ones I build to achieve a 12'6" length. The Rainshadow 1507 might be another suitable choice but I'm not sure if you can get this rod at 13' or 13'6" from the factory. As far as guides go I generally purchase the Fuji BMNAG Alconites from Mudhole for all the surf rods I build and have been very pleased with the performance and price. I'm by no means an expert but these rods have worked very well for me in the past. Good luck.

Ron

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-83-32-249.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 04:39AM

I live in Spain. In the Mediterranean Europe, surf rods are longer than in the US. It's to cast 130 gr lead weights (of course with hook and live bait).

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:52PM

Daniel , Rainshadow has a 13' , it is a SU 1569 , 5-12 oz , not in the book or on our website yet , but the word is getting around and getting many calls about them . Talked to someone who finished his and tried it out. He said he could not beleive something so lite could cast so good . 13ft equal piece, easy to get around , fits real nice in the back of a short bed pickup . Have any questions call me at 804-746-9711 or email . We are also on the sponsor list Fishsticks4u . Robert

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.wdc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 08:05AM

Daniel - I am building a surf rod based on the SU 1569 and it is an amazing blank. It is very light. with a lot of power. Five ounces may be a little light for it unless the person you are building a rod for someone who has the casting technique to be able to access the power in the blank. Once I get the rod built I will post a report on it.

One thing I really like about the blank is that it breaks down into two equal pieces.
I am told that Rainshadow makes some lighter versions -- known as the SU 1568 and SU 1567.

Robert and Ray of Fishsticks4u are great folks to deal with. Good luck! Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster