I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC Recoil guide question
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 08:00AM

I have a few sets of Recoil fly guides,both SF and snake,that I plan on using soon,and I wanted to get some extra info on them before I attemp any prep work.

Just curious but has anyone noticed a difference in line friction and noise between the light and heavy wire Recoil fly guides?

I've heard the reports about the noise of these guides,and like many,when I can hear the line going through the guides I think of friction.What I'm not sure of though is exactly which guides most people are using for lighter fly rods.I assume that most are using the thin wire ones for most fresh water rods,and if so,I am wondering if the same noise/friction issues are there with the heavier wire guides?

I've compared both the light and heavy wire guides to regular chrome or TiCH plated snakes and SF guides,and both models seem lighter in weight (the light wire ones are considerably lighter),so choosing either Recoil model would mean weight savings and a crisper rod.I've also noticed that the heavy wire model is about the same diameter as what regular wire gudies are,where as the light wire is considerably thinner.

I am wondering if it is the thinner diameter wire that is making the extra noise as it doesn't provide as much surface area for the flyline to go over?

Also,I would think that a thin diameter wire is probably much harder on a fly line than a thicker one and wants to dig into it more than a thicker one would.Has anyone noticed this or noticed if the larger diameter ones feel like they are a bit easier on the line or any quieter?

Since the heavy wire version is similar to a typical wire guide in size (yet are still lighter) and since they go small enough in size (down to size 1 in SF) and actually match the wire in the tip tops better,is there any reason one could not,or should not,use them on light fly rods like say a 5wt?

Also,the legs on the guides are considerably longer than other wire guides,and longer than I prefer.I have also noticed that many are a bit rough or slightly bent on the ends,so they need prepping anyways(I prep all my guides regardless).Is this material difficult to cut/trim and prep compared to other guides?I have a Dremel tool,with a Flex Shaft attachment,which makes quick work of most jobs,and was wondering what this material is like to work with when shortening and shaping a foot?

The SF guides have 2 sides and should be easy to work with regardless of length as long as the metal will grind well enough to reshape the top of the end.The snakes however are a round,single wire and even with the aid of Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive,they would obviously still be tough to keep on the blank if shortened to the point where the flat section was removed.A couple of the snakes I have unfortunately have uneven length legs,so they have to be trimmed and one side will lose the flat spot anyways.If I was to chop off the flat spot and shorten them equally on both sides,then reshape and taper the top of the end,would they still stay in place after wrapping with the rounded bottom,or would they want to roll and move out of position?

Thanks and sorry for the length of post,LOL
Tony.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC Recoil guide question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 08:56AM

Try a search or just look father down, there has been several posts on thes in the past few days.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 09:11AM

The problem with the Recoils is that they are soldered together with some pretty soft ,low temp stuff and to much heat will cause them to spring apart on the SF guides. Do a search using Christian Brink as the author for some insight on the heavy and thin wire versions. Use all dates as the time frame as it was a while back.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:02AM

Thanks for the responces,but I did a search and can't really find anything that directly answers my questions regarding a direct comparison in noise and friction between the light and heavy wire Recoil guides,or about what the snake guides are like when trimmed shorter(will they move easily under the wrap & finish due to the rounded ends?)

Most guys seem to use the light wire on all freshwater rods for the extra flexibility,but is there any reason not to use the heavy wire on a 5wt since they are still lighter than other guides and also match the wire thickness in the tip top better?

Are the heavy wire guides as noisy as the light wire?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2005 09:09AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.148.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:10AM

Some say they do, some say they don't ??
Try them and if you don't like them -change.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:08PM

Tony, I can't answer your question about the noise difference. I only use the light wire RSN guides on rods for 3 weight and lighter, and I rarely shoot line on the cast with light lines. I consider the RSN wire guage to be too small, and use the RSNX guides on 4 weights and heavier; I do recommend them to you, or the SF equivalent for your project. The difference between RSN and RSNX guides of the same size on a 9' rod, the smallest being size 2, is about 5 grains, although I must admit that most of the difference is on the tip section.

I am not at all convinced that the noise from RECoils means higher friction than standard plated guides. I have made quite a few 7 and 8 weight rods with the RSNX guides, and they cast every bit as far as other rods of the same line weights I have made, including some with the Fuji single titanium frame SIC guides. The noise may simply be one of the inherent properties of the alloy.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 07:23PM

Tony, I'm using them on one of my float rods. they are some very good guides IMHO. I'm very satisfied with them. I haven't noticed any difference between ceramic ringed guides or the Recoils. The only issue I have is the size six guides which sit so close to the blank I'm havin issues of line sticking to the blank when it's wet and it messes up my drift when I'm trotting very slow water. With casting and faster currents this isn't an issue. Another good thing about the guides is the feet don't require any prep work. The feet are already nicely taperd and size A thread winds over the foot very nicely (that's on a size 20 spinning guide).

So far I'm very pleased with the guides. My casts are just as far if not a bit farther than before and the rods action is very close to the tip action of the unwrapped blank. I'm so pleased with the guides that I'm probably going to use them on all my future rods. I only wish they could make a high frame match guide for float fishing.

I hope this helps.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster