I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

couple of tricks i learned
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:14AM

Just a couple of tricks i discovered. thought someone could use them.

First, when wrapping butt wraps or cross wrapping (ie chevrons or fish), its very dificult to keep your axis straight (ie, your centerline where your thread crosses up). I've heard some people say use the reflection of the light as your guide, but i think i found something that works better. Figure out your spacing for where your line will cross and mark it (i'd use a compass, you can set the compass at whatever distance you want and scribe your marks quick and easy). now, on your first and last marks put a line along the spine of the rod. Eye down the rod to make sure they are in line. Next to get your axis perfectly in line at every intersection, take a piece of size A thread longer than the length of the butt wrap and lay it on the first and last intersections you just marked. Now just mark where the thread crosses the marks you made with your compass. Its similar to snapping a chalk line when your building something.

Second, a little trick for marking your spine on a rod. Most people tell you to find where the rod wants to settle in a natural, relaxed, "obvious" curve. Problem is that this curve is not always so obvious. So what i do is look for directly the opposite. and i mark the inside of the curve. I roll the blank back and forth until i feel it "jump". Then i look for the center of this jump. Its usually a lot smaller area then the area that is relaxed. I look for the center of this jump and mark it as my reference for my spine. Its the same effect, just doing it a different way. I was bored, just felt like speaking a little!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: couple of tricks i learned
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:41AM

Watch out Aaron. You might be accused of doing things the old fashioned way. Thanks for the tips. We never get enough of them.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.110.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 04:45AM

Thanks for sharing Aaron.

Tight lines & smokin' drags - -

Art

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 06:45AM

Aaron, have you been watching me work? Good tips. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 11:28AM

I do it the old fashion way too. Manually find the spine, mark it, install grips/reels seat. Then using a straight edge pre-marked for thin, med, or thick dia blanks select one of the three and mark the centers on the blank using the straight edge so that canters are aligned with reel seat. . I use grease pencil. Works with or without underwrap. Wrap over the grease pencil marks to hide them.

Unless it is a closed wrap I rarely if ever measure anything to lay out a wrap - I just use the marks on the pre-marked straight-edge. BTW, I also use the indexes on the rod lathe to hold the blank steady.

Lou

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:52PM

no problem guys! I know when i was starting out, all the things i read were difficult to understand. Just tryin to make it a little easier on the new guys! I thought it was funny when i would read, "look for the rod to form the 'natural curve'" Just to let these authors know; when you're new, you're not quite sure what is natural. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster