I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

salmon/steel rod blank help
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 09:56PM

Looking for advice on a blank for throwing spoons & rattle traps from piers. Apologies if you feel this has been beaten to death, but I think I have a twist or too to make it different. Out here in Chicago, it's hard to get the basic info that some of you take for granted so I hope you forgive me for the parts that you feel are covered in other posts.

The rod will be likely be a spinning rod, reel will probably be some sort of shimano 4000 series or similar size (200yds of 10lb). could do casting if you all strongly recommend it.

rod should throw 1/2-3/4 oz lures.

Want to use 8-12 lb test (could push down to 6)

I think I want to be 8 1/2 ft length. (am I too short?)

that's the easy part and maybe you will all tell me to stop there cause the rest is a pipe dream.

would like to be able to use the rod occassionly with skein and float.

now the harder part...would also like to take this rod traveling and occassionaly throw larger lures from jetties or the beach. expect these to top out at 1 to 2oz. but the travel part -> 3 or 4 piece seems really hard.

What do you all think? what do you recommend?

thx all
jayw

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: salmon/steel rod blank help
Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 10:22PM

Jay,

I'm from Chicago and feel your pain about the piers... i took a class specifically for my steelhead rod. Give Tom Cooney a call at 708-534-8203, he lives off of 57 and Manhatton-Monee road. He gave me a 9 foot Rainshadow blank that is absolutely perfect and casts a country mile. It's 2 pieces, so alil bigger than you want, but worth it. Tell him I sent you and ask him what the model was that he gave me from my rodbuilding class... I'd look it up myself, however I don't have those records anywhere I can get to right now.

Regards,
Joe

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 11:32PM

Hi Jay
Check out the Rainshadow 1021, G.Loomis 1025, or a Pac-Bay 1024.
All are exelent blanks for what you are discribing and are 8'6" 2pc.
The loomis is a bit pricy unless you can get a GL2 but the GL2 is not
made anymore I think. I have built on all 3. The Rainshadow is a bit
heavier but light and sensitive and would be my first choice!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 08:08AM

Look at the HS 1021 Rainshadow blank. Light extra fast tip, throws light and heavier weights well, light geneal weight blank, with lots of backbone.
Has been used for pier fishing for many years, no bad as a drift/float rod, just stay away from the 6 lb test if you want to beach that fish.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 08:32AM

im in michigan most of the customers that do that here found an 8ft to 8''6 to be sufficiant guide placement on the rod will pay the biggest role <imo> check toms article out on static guide placement in the library that might help also....ive been using an 8''6 st.croix sc3 with 10lb and couldent be more happy performed good... i had a customer insist on a 9''6 cam back a week later ordered a 8 foot the st.croix im talkin about is the 3s86mhf2 one beefy blank if you like the st.croix just a suggestion though tight wraps......

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:55AM

Batson / Rainshadow HS1021F specs:
8'6" , 2pc, 10-20lb test, 3/8 - 3 oz lure wt, Butt = .595, Tip 4.5, Action = Fast, Power = Med/Lt, Blank wt = 2.92 oz.
If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us or one of our many Authorized distributors.
Thank you all for your support.
Bill Batson..
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 02:35PM

Give Dan Craft a call....

His FT's at 4 pc rods...generally 9 ft...but would fit your need and he could tell you which blank would be just right.

The Sig. V's are 3 pc rods...would work, too.

These are tremendous blanks...in both cases.

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 08:07PM

I have one of Dan's FT 8 wts here that I'm making a travel drift rod out of. Have the handle on and the ferrules wrapped and it's not going to handle 2 oz, not sure I'd sling 3/4 oz with it, my Sig V 10 wt wouldn't like it either I believe. The Hot Shot blank was designed for giving maximum action to plugs and spoons due to the light tip, and I have seen to many guys spanked by hot shot rods compared to their drift rod pulling plugs not to believe it. They are designed to have the backbone to handle big fish in fast current without tearing out the treble hooks. They were never originally designed to cast with but some of them are cannons. And lots of them are used for drift fishing for Chinook salmon or for steelhead in large rivers. Have used them on stripers and hybrids from boat or jetty and on the flats in Florida and the heavier versions for fishing artifical reefs.He's asking a lot from one rod, I can't think of a more sensitive, balanced, yet powerful blank to do it with than a hot shot blank. No trying to preach, but once you build a few you won't believe the stuff you'll find they can do well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster