I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just Starting out
Posted by: Ben Rehard (---.dialin.buffalo.edu)
Date: October 04, 2005 11:40AM

Hello I'm new to this board and robuilding. This hobby seem very addicted just like fishing. I figure this hobby can keep me sane during the winter.

I planning on building my first rod on a UL St. croix 5' Avid spin blank(butt diameter .285). This will be use mainly for vertical presentations for perch and crappy. Guides of my choice would be American tackle titan titanium. I figure 1 10, 2 8, 3 6, size guide and a fuji 4 size titanium guide. If you guys can direct me to better size and number of guides don't hesitate.

For reel seat I like fuji model DPS-D-16 and Fuji woven graphite spin seat(14mm).
I don't really know how to determine size so the above may be wrong. What about arbor and shim? I would like it if I didn't half to use them. How would I go about attaching the reel seat and cork to the rod?

Do I need a rod wrapper and if I do which model would you recommend?
Sorry for all the anoying questions, thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just Starting out
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.254.139.242.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 12:47PM

Hi Ben ! Yes this hobby is very addictive and rewarding.If you are just starting out my I suggest that you go to the left to the sponsors and click onto Mud Hole and get the DVD How we do it by Flex coat .I sure wish that I would have gotten this DVD first. I would have done things alot differently, and spent my money more wisley .However again it is up to what ever route the rod builder wants to go.
Then the second thing that I would do is go to the left side of the page and click unto Rod Maker Magazine and subcribe to that.It is just full of learning material.I hope this was of some help to you and your new hobby.On the other questions you asked I'll let the experts answer thoes.
Good luck and enjoy<<<<<DON AT HOBBY RODS>>>>>

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:21PM

You really need to get a starter book or DVD. They're well worth the money for anyone just starting out.

I'd advise you against the size 16 reel seat for a spinning rod. Unless you have very, very small hands, you'll like the 17 or 18 better. They'll be much more comfortable.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:57PM

Rod Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman $15
Step by Step instructions for crafting your own custom fishing rod. Building a spinning, casting, surf, fly or offshore rods, Rod Building Guide will explain the how and why in clear, concise text with nearly 100 full color photographs. 51 pages paperback.

THE NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building, by Dale P. Clemens $30
Dale Clemens has completely rewritten this new book. He continues to display his expertise in his discussion of methods for building every kind of rod-from ultra-light fly to surf and offshore trolling. Following detailed explanations and illustrations, rod builders can design, built, and embellish rods to suit their particular desires and needs. Hardcover, 320 pages.

Step By Step Rod Building, by Flex Coat (FC) $7
Contains over 100 clear illustrations, charts and guide sizing plus step-by-step instructions on all phases of rod constructions. Some topics included are: designing your own custom rod, determining the spine of the rod blank, constructing cork handles, foam handle construction, installing the tip top, wrapping the guides, finishing the wraps and helpful tips for a professional finish. Great for both beginners and experienced rod builders. Softbound, 48 pages.

ROD-MAKER MAGAZINE, bi-monthly, $27 / (6 issues per 12 months).
[www.rodmakermagazine.com]. Order a subscription as soon as you think rod-building is for you. And as far as back issues go, order soon so you won't have to worry about back-issues running out. There simply is no other rod building magazine that can compare for quality and expertise with RMM.

Take a good look around right here at RBO. PLENTY of information at all levels of expertise. Between MudHole's On-Line tutorial and Tom Kirkman's "Rod-Building" book, and the FAQs & LIBRARY & GLOSSARY here at RBO, you have more than enough to get started. And the RBO SEARCH Engine has a database of over 28,000 different Message Threads, totaling more than 160,000 Replies. You are standing in the middle of the world's best repository and forum for rod-building information. All you gotta do is get busy and fill your creel. LOL, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

P.S. - If you get hooked on rod-building, RodMaker Magazine, and Dale Clemens' books and videos (like Doc Ski's) will prove very valuable in improving your knowledge of rod-building and your craftsmanship skills. A small price to pay for the return on your investment.

WARNING: Rod-building, and day-dreaming about it, can become habit-forming, and may be hazardous to other relationships. Participant discretion is advised.

P.S.S. - Do yourself a favor and go to the MudHole website and request a free copy of their 2005 Catalog. In the front is a 6-page PRIMER, "STEP-by-STEP ROD-BUILDING". It will keep it simple, and has clear illustrations. Order the Flex Coat Booklet "Step-by-Step Rod-Building" as your table-top reference if the MH-Primer is not enough. Tom Kirkman's book is the next level up in general reading. Then Dale Clemens' book "The NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building" is the most comprehensive reference book for general rod-building. Tom Kirkman's RodMaker Magazine is the only other thing that can top Kirkman's own book, or Clemens' book. There are some specialized rod-building books that are tops in their specialty, but this is just an introduction and not a literature review. And there are plenty of new Videos and DVDs to take us where our own rod-building skills have never gone before. Enjoy your own Rod-Trek. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:38PM

Ben. As to the rod wrapper, I think Flexcoat makes a portable model I really like with a thread tensioner. $35. All you need unless you get really serious. Also will go out on a limb and suggest spar varnish for your first wraps as epoxy will drive you nuts.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.19.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 03:11PM

You can also learn a lot by hanging out and reading the posts here. Check it out for a few days.

Posted by: Ben Rehard (---.dialin.buffalo.edu)
Date: October 04, 2005 03:51PM

You guys are great, that is the info I been looking for, thanks!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 06:44PM

Ben,Also check the directory at the top of this page for a builder in your area.The people that are listed here may be able to help you in person or maybe by a phone call.Rod builders tend to be friendly and love to help a new comer.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Crook (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:55PM

I'm right with you. I spent the last week refinishing my "Baby" a 20 year old St.Croix fly rod. It turned out O.K. My first attempt.

I'm now "HOOKED"

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster