I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' with shorter handle
Posted by: Jason Penn (---.dsl.ltrkar.swbell.net)
Date: April 26, 2002 07:25PM

If you built a 7' MH or H power rod with the shorter handle like a 6'6" would it completely throw off the balance? I recently bought a Falcon Expert 7' MH and got rid of it. The action of the rod felt great but the handle just seemed uncomfortable to me.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' with shorter handle
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 26, 2002 08:29PM

Build the handle to the length you prefer. If you find the rod to be a bit tip-heavy, then just add some weight in the butt end. That will bring the balance back to where you want it.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.015.popsite.net)
Date: April 26, 2002 11:44PM

What's the application, casting plugs, livebait? I have several rods in the 10-25# range 6.5' through 8.5' with the same handle dimensions. I have heavier rods 20-60# range from 6' to 8' with shorter handles. The difference is the ones with the longer handled, lighter rods are for casting light baits live and artificials for fresh water bass and lite inshore saltwater vs. the shorter handled rod are mainly for live bait and bigger offshore fish.
Both suit a specific use and are balanced for the out come. To be more useful, more specifics would help.

Posted by: Jason Penn (---.dsl.ltrkar.swbell.net)
Date: April 27, 2002 12:39AM

The rod is for soft plastics and jigs. I primarily fish freshwater. I thought about maybe just cutting an inch off of a 9 3/4" handled 7' rod and replacing the buttcap but I'm sure that would void any kind of warranty.

By the way I am thinking of having the rod built. I have thought about trying my hand at rodbuilding but it seems like it would be very tedious and patience is not my strong suit LOL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 27, 2002 10:08AM

Technically, cutting your rod would void the warranty. But an inch might never be noticed.

If you want to the exact rod that you wish, then building or having it built would be a good idea. There are several things you can do to get the rod within acceptable balance limits. A longer, heavier butt cap might just do the trick. You could add a small amount of weight inside the extreme end of the blank. You could use a heavier rear grip material such as burl or rubberized cork. Lots of options here.

Of course, you may not need to balance the rod at all, depending upon which blank you choose. I'd select the blank I wanted along with the chosen components and "mock" it up and see whether it needs help in the balance department or not. If so, the amount you are talking about should not be very much.

You can build your own with a bit of patience and some background info. Or, if you'd rather have someone else do it, visit the directory of rod builders at www.tackleworks.org and see if there is someone listed in your home state.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2002 01:04PM

Jason, just for comparison purposes, I built a 7' St. Croix Legend Elite Med/Lt spinning blank into a spiral wrap baitcaster and cut the rear butt handle down to 8" before assembly. Even tough I left a foregrip, I cut that down too. The reel seat is an extra lite Fuji and I use a Shimano Scorpion 1000 as the reel. I lucked out on the balance as it feels very good and casts well. As mentioned in the above posts, it should not be a problem, just consider all factors and give yourself the option of being able to add a little weight to the butt, if necessary.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.015.popsite.net)
Date: April 27, 2002 11:24PM

Jason, I take it your rod was a producton rod and not a custom built rod. There are balancing kits sold(check www.basspro.com) where you add/delete weighted slugs to an extended butt cap.
As far as patience, I you fish, that's patience enough to build rods! And let me tell you there is nothing more rewarding than fishing a rod you built yourself! Caution building rods can be additive!
Wrap'em and hook'em!

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: April 29, 2002 10:19AM

I just built a 6'6" SCIII St. Croix for centipedes and french fry fishing. He likes the rod to balance by holding a finger right where the bell of the spinning reel is. I used an ISP16 seat without a foregrip (used standard locking ring) and a 6" rear grip. He hates long handles. ALconite guides, New concept orientation. The rod balanced out near perfect for him. When you set the seat closer to the butt section the amount of weight to balance can become too much. I did this without any weight in the butt and turned out nicely. He is completely happy with the results. Doesn't want to change a thing. Like mentioned above. If you wnat to build it yourself, get the components and "trial" fit them, you may not have to do anything, or much. Or, have a custom builder that understands the craft and what you want to build you one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster