I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help from fly rod builders needed!!
Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.l2.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:27PM

Just started wrapping my Dan Craft Sig V 905-3 with the REC Recoil RSF wire guides. I initially opted for these guides for the weight saving I knew they would have over other types of guides.

Now for the problem.........

I've finished wrapping the tip section and am not sure if I like them!! The guide feet seem very long. Also i've read all about the noise/vibration issues that have cropped up on the board. As this was supposed to be my best build yet and No1 fly rod (spent a fair amount of money on the reels seat),I'm wondering if I should be putting guides on it that i'm already having reservations about and have never used before.

What guides would you opt for if you had the choice? and in what sizes?

I'm leaning towards Fuji Concepts, will there be a significant weight increase with these?

All help and input much appreciated.

Signed

Frustrated/Confused Rodbuilder!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help from fly rod builders needed!!
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:39PM

I'd go with Alconites or, if you don't mind spending the money, SiC guides with the titanium frame.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 06:43PM

Steve,
Can you provide the specific model number for the titanium frame SIC's (and source if known)? I have a couple of 9' five weights to build this winter. From a rod I stripped down I have a like new SIC titanium stripper and tip, and a set of REC Recoil snakes, but while fishing the other three rods I built with Recoils I've become pretty annoyed with the zinging sound. Time for a change - IMHO.

I'd also be open to an alternative light wire snake that won't wear out.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 07:28PM

Jeff:

Compared with the REC recoil, single-foot, wire loop guides all the other single foot wire loops will show wear after a few seasons. You expect to replace them, given the style they are. It has already been mentioned that the other choices are ceramic ring, single foot fly guides by Fuji and others. The lightest and costliest are the SIC Titanium by Fuji. They are, by the way, a very proven guide and will do well to keep the fly rod action close to it's original frequency. A good alternative is the Fuji Alconite- lightweight with a good ceramic ring. I have no personal knowledge of the sturdiness of the AMtak titanium fly guides, so I cannot mention anything about them except that they exist. For my own rods, I use the Fuji Alconite. I can afford them and they are very light.

My $0.02 worth

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 07:42PM

Fuji Alconites #6 running guides work well on that blank!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: October 03, 2005 07:43PM

Thanks Doug,
Would you have the model number of the single foot Fuji Titaniuim SIC? And source?

Jeff

Date: October 03, 2005 07:56PM

Located some Titanium SIC's, but other than the Angler's rsrc/Fuji link, which doesn't appear to do retail, I'm having trouble locating the Alconites.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:07PM

The Fuji SiC Titanium frames are TSG for the single foot fly guides and TNSG for the double foot guides. The Alconites are BLAG for fly guides and BLNAG for the doube footed guides. These are black ring/black frame. They also come in a chrome frame CLAG and CLNAG. Mudhole has them and I'm sure most of the sponsors have them. The Alconites are listed under the "Concept Guides" section.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:48PM

If you click on Dan's website, Dan Craft Ent., and download his catalog you will find Forecast guides, Struble, Bellinger and REC reel seats. Email or call him and he will fix you up with all the componets you need. If you are ordering a blank from Dan he will make sure you get the right size tip top and winding check for that blank.

Also if you go to the RainShadow/Forecast,Baston, site on the left you can see all the Forecast Guides along with ring colors and sizes.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 04:36PM

Hey Brother
I JUST built the same 5wt you're talking about with double foot RECoils and 2 SiC strippers. Beauty. Aside from the TSG, this is what I would recommend. I would recommend the sng ft RECoils on this rod, but REC doesn't make them small enough. A 6wt for salt would be a different story.
Don't hesitate to email or even call me for ideas.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster