I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5wt Component Suggetions
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 01:46PM

I decided I'm going to build my 9' 5 wt on a Dan Craft Signature V blank. I'm now looking for suggestions on guides and real seat. The guides I am considering are Forecast TiCH single foot guides vs. Recoils. The real seat I'm looking at is the Struble U-20. Any feedback on these components would be appreciated. Also, if I want to order a metal winding check, how do I know what size to buy if I'm ordering the rod at the same time and can't measure?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5wt Component Suggetions
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.80.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 02:15PM

ed

the TiCH single foot wire guides work great on that rod, i used them at dan's suggestion. the U-20 is a nice reel seat, can't really go wrong with that. if nickle silver, keep some silver compound to work out the tarnish down the road unless you don't mind that patina.

on my 8'-4" Sig V, i used a bellinger NS downlocking cap and ring reel seat. works great too. most don't use cap and ring for 5 wt though.

if you settle on the reel seat and know the length of grip, dan can estimate the size of the blank where the winding check will be installed knowing those two lengths. it would be a great safety measure to order one size larger and smaller, just in case. consider the unused ones as the start of a stockpile of misc parts. i useda TiCH winding check. of the two styles available, i chose the unknurled version.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 02:23PM

Ed - I think you are considering the SF wires based on your post. I thought that I would toss into the equation that I've used the Forecast SF Zirconium's in the light TI plating (LTCFL series) on a number of rods and really like them for all the pros usually discussed concerning ceramics. Also, the Struble is a great seat, but I've also really liked matching the Forecast guides with the matching BUL skeleton. I like the continuity of the materials' colors. Also, if you turn your own insets it accepts a round insert (no mortise) opening up some additional options for aesthitics without sacrificing functionality.

Date: October 03, 2005 09:49PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Date: October 03, 2005 09:52PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:45PM

If you click on Dan's website, Dan Craft Ent., and download his catalog you will find Forecast guides, Struble, Bellinger and REC reel seats. Email or call him and he will fix you up with all the componets you need. If you are ordering a blank from Dan he will make sure you get the right size tip top and winding check for that blank.

Also if you go to the RainShadow/Forecast,Baston, site on the left you can see all the Forecast Guides along with ring colors and sizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster