I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss What happened?
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 08:06AM

Hey everyone, I coated 2 blanks with 2 coats of Permagloss let them sit for 4 days and then put the handle and reel seat on with Rod Bond when I went to wipe off the excess Rod Bond with Denatured Alcohol Some of the permagloss finish started to come off as I wiped it down. Not all over just in a couple of places. What could have caused this. So I don't have it happen again? Thanks Scott Parsons

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss What happened?
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 08:26AM

I don't know what happened unless one of the additives in the denatured alcohol disolved the perma-gloss. I do believe 91%clear rubbing alcohol is a better choice. Ask a pharmacist, will have or can get it. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2005 08:39AM

Cured Permagloss shouldn't be affected by a quick wipe with denatured alcohol. My first thought, since you say it only came off in places, was that your surface prep might have been a bit lacking and what you've done is take off the finish from those areas where it wasn't able to adhere very well. This is just a guess on my part - it's hard to really tell without being able to see the item firsthand.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 05:10PM

I'm going to guess that it wasn't fully cured. I had this happen to me with epoxy one time. I was in a rush and was going to try and fish the rod one weekend and put the epoxy on thursday night. Friday morning I was cleaning the rod up with denatured alcohol, and the alcohol took off the epoxy in places just as you describe. I attributed mine to the epoxy not being fully cured, have never had it happen before or since.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 03, 2005 10:49PM

Scott - more likely poor surface prep. Did the PG surface come off in flakes (poor prep), or did it dissolve first like a gel (strong solvent)? ... If there was a curing failure, was it an especially DRY day (no humidity) or too much air conditioning? PG needs water vapor / air moisture to cure. But 4 days should have been enough, IMO. Cliff Hall+++

FYI - PG not curing right is an entirely different ball game than epoxy not curing right. PG curing may fail because of low humidity. Epoxy finish fails to cure well due to unequal ratio of parts and / or poor mixing of the reactants. -CMH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster