I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Orvis Zero Gravity Rods
Posted by: Dave Hoffman (---.186.5.248.res-tnk.ptd.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 12:06PM

Anyone out there cast an Orvis zero gravity rod yet? If so, what do you think of them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orvis Zero Gravity Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2005 01:48PM

Nice enough, but not earth shattering. Remember, this is from the same company that claims each individual graphite fiber in their rods is encased in a sheath of resin (all graphite comes in a prepeg which encases each and every fiber - although may not as neatly as the Orvis illustration depicts).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 01:57PM

Sounds like a rod for outer space ??

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 04:18PM

I don't think I would ever buy a rod from a comapny who also promotes womens fashions.....Being an Orvis Endorsed Guide here in Texas is sort of a joke...more of an advertising ploy than anything. I understand it's that way elsewhere as well.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 06:13PM

Orvis says this about their "new" rods:

"Orvis spent two years consulting with U.S. Air Force engineers and contractors to produce the company's most technologically advanced rod ever."

Perhaps in return for using U.S.Air Force engineers and contractors, Orvis will offer to pay all taxes on the new rods.

One thing is certain, the rods must be stealthy so you don't have to worry about being picked up on radar. Very important when fishing for brook trout.

Hype..........all hype.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.28.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 06:28PM

Did they go to area 51 and have aliens build them LOL

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.msn.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 07:47PM

What happens if you lay down your "zero gravity" rod? Rod socks and tubes are a common accessory for fly rods but does Orvis offer a tether with this rod as well?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 07:21AM

I read teh Promo on their sales catalouge flyer last week. In one sentence, they used like 8 hardore buzzwords & SAT terms. I felt too dumb to want to own one.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: October 03, 2005 08:08AM

Why bash a rod based upon how an ad agency chooses to market it? I've fished a lot of the rods in the Orvis line, and many of them are great fishing rods. It's easy to poke fun, but don't knock it until you try it... Orvis makes a quality rod. The fit and finish of Orvis rods is usually excellent, and they use some innovative (although not earth-shaking) components and materials in their rods. They also cater to rod builders, you can order most of their blanks and neat reel seats through their headquarters.

Date: October 03, 2005 08:42AM

I don't think you'll find a commercial rod manufacturer that doesn't employ the same tactics in their advertising and marketing. Orvis isn't alone in doing this sort of thing and like it or not, it's a proven way to attract customers.

I don't think custom builders should mis-lead their customers but I do think many of them could take a lesson from the major manufacturers in how to better market their product.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.135.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:11AM

Tom's right.
It's like fishing -- you need the right bate.

Date: October 03, 2005 10:15AM

Why bash a rod based upon how an ad agency chooses to market it?

Because just like L.L. Bean and, J. Burleson and a few others they are selling a lifestyle, not a rod. And it's a lifestyle that caters to a certain class of people....a lifestyle most of us can't afford. Your'e certainly entitled to your opinion, but the Orvis rods I have seen are "me too" rods at best, and they use the "fluff" in their catolog to get people to buy them. Tom is correct in that most companies do this to a certain degree, but that doesn't make it right. Temple Fork may be a cheap(er) import rod, but it casts great and fishes well, and they at least had the brains to get Lefty in their ads, rather than some international male super model in a $300.00 set of duds holding a leather suitcase in one hand and a flyrod in the other.
And Mike, I wasn't poking fun....I am dead serious, and I am knocking it because I have tried it! I used to have a good friend that worked in an Orvis store in Houston, and he told me once that the majority of customers that came in were doctors/lawyers and well off businessmen. They had NEVER fished before, but somehow got invited to go to Patagonia or some other exotic place. They purchased $3000.00 worth of rods/reels vests....everything you see in the catolog. Went on the trip, used it one time, came back and sold it used for half of what they paid for it. The reason most people buy Orvis is because they know the name and associate it with a certain lifestyle. There is a fringe element of good fishermen that do like the rods (and I am not being derogotory when I say that...if you like the rods, great use them!). But the fact is that most (read close...not ALL, but most) Orvis customers are rich folks who know the name and see it as a status symbol. The last time I was in Houston 5 weeks ago, I drove down Westheimer and you know what they had in the window of the Orvis Store? A female mannequin in khakis, and loafers with a sweater tied around her neck preppy style, and a friggin creel next to her feet....Is that what you expect from a company who sells fishin' tackle? Not, me I want some place that smells like a mixture of sweat, dead shrimp, and reel grease.

If you like the rods Mike, great!...seriously, that's great! But that doesn't change the fact that the majority of what Orvis is selling is a lifestyle that caters to the rich and famous, and that has nothing to do with fishing or fishing rods.

Funny thing that this Orvis thread came up. I was looking at an issue of Saltwater FlyFishing last night and there was a full page Orvis add on the back and you know what it claims?

"The perfectly balanced T3 improves your timing so you can cast accurately and effortlessly, near or far" Then in small print (prices starting at $575.00).

Someone explain to me how that works? It's like saying buying a more expensive guitar makes you a better guitar player.

I've been thinking lately of putting together a collage of all of the ridicoulous marketing claims made by these companies.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: October 03, 2005 10:32AM

But Andy - it works !!
They sell them and for big bucks ! That is the whole idea. Weather they work or not, the people don't care.
It's like buying those sneakers with the computer chips in them?? Computer chips in sneakers ?? Please. But they probably sold a heck of a lot of them.

I for one will read and try to use the way they word things. Hay got to go with the winners.

Date: October 03, 2005 10:37AM

The Fly Fishing industry has done a fantastic job of marketing. They have convinced tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of fishermen that if it costs more, it must be better (sometimes this is true - sometimes it is not). Granted, some of the claims are outrageous - Orvis does not sheath each individual graphite fiber in their rods in a case of resin. That's the way prepeg is - a mix of fibers and resin. It's not going to look like the illustration in their ads, nor does Orvis have anything special going on there. From the same standpoint, G.Loomis uses a "unique hydrophobic material for the utmost in feel and sensitivity" to fill the cavities on their cheap cork grips. To you and me it's duco cement and cork dust, to the Loomis customer, it's a unique hydrophobic material. Same difference but a different way to say it. Which is the more impressive, and effective, from a sales standpoint?

In the end, it's up to the consumer to educate himself on what he's buying. What you see in the Orvis ads is no different than what you see in ads for boats, cars, washing machines, etc. I don't think I could go that far in any advertising I do, but I can't really blame the companies that do use that approach. "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." I wouldn't advise rod builders to go this far in their own advertising, but I would remind them that it's important to create an image and some prestige for your product. This is exactly why so many rod builders can't sell their rods - the customer wants more than just some assembled parts. He wants to feel that what he's buying is special, is different, is better.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 10:44AM

I wish I had that advertisement from their flyer. I really felt dumb after looking at teh letters & stuff, because all teh letters put together made up words I'd never heard of in rodbuilding or fishing, lol. Sort of like when you guys saw "teh" for teh first time and thought it was some New York way of saying THE.

i will say Orvis has some nice stuff, but it's awfully expensive, and nothing that you can't get from another company. Most of teh shirts, jackets, waders & etc's I have from them, actually wear well and I have no complaints. I also get them fro free with points from my Orvis credit card, lol.

Date: October 03, 2005 10:45AM

Tom,
You said "I wouldn't advise rod builders to go this far in their own advertising, but I would remind them that it's important to create an image and some prestige for your product."

My point exactly...visit the Orvis website. There are 12 different ads on the index page ranging from Womens sweaters, mens clothes, dog blankets, Holiday gifts, luggage etc....and one for flyrods. They may be very successful at their overall marketing campaign, but it sure does make me feel like rods are WAY down on the priority list.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 10:51AM

Don't know about Orvis's new rods but I can't find and re-wrap the old Orvis graphite rods made the in the late 70's and early 80's fast enough to meet demand, especially the 7'-6" 6wt. And I am not in a trout fishing area. Guys are using them for pan fish.

Date: October 03, 2005 11:00AM

Jim
If that is what is selling - go with it. maybe start telling people about you special panfish rods ???
It does this and does that, cooks you breakfast ???

Just went to the Orvis site and looked at those rods? Looks like they have Snake Guides on them ?? Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2005 11:25AM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 03, 2005 11:26AM

Billy,
I can't picture you in an Orvis jacket.....a full length black leather trench coat maybe....

Andy

Date: October 03, 2005 11:35AM

Ya, with a Colt 45 strapped to his hip LOL

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster