I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drill vise-jig
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 10:29AM

I build around 7-10 rods a year for relatives and friends. Use a lot of handmade tools and have learned most everything from this forum. I want to try to turn my own cork handles. What's a simple method for locking down an electric drill so it is stable and plum? I don't plan to make wood handles (yet!). I looked at some lathes and they are just out of my price range at this point. A year ago I tried my first feather inlays and was pleasantly surprised how they came out, so maybe it will happen with the handles. This is addicting! Thanks for your help. Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill vise-jig
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 11:24AM

Just put it on some wood blocks with the handle pointing up then tie it down with hose clamps. There are setups like this in the photo section built by others. Look for Bill Boettcher's photos in the equipment and tools section, there are others also for just about anything elas you need if your a tinkerer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 11:28AM

here is how I did one, similar to the flex coat one. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 08:23PM

Bill, how exactly do you secure your blank to your drill? I've tried a couple different settups putting the inserts into the blank bottom, used the tape and all that, and I can't find a darn thing that doesn't either rip the tape eventually or crack the blank from being wedged in alil too tight. It seems like you take alott care w/ your tape job, is that your secret?

Regards,
-j

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.203.103.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 09:29PM

Steve,Before you try to make something to secure a drill for a lathe.You might want to go to the top of the page and click onto the photo page , go all the way top the bottom left corner you will see a photo of the Grizzly hobby lathe that Bill Barkley posted.
I sent and got me one and I love it.I have cut and cluded up some eva grips and turned them,and they came out great.Have not done any cork yet but that's next.
They have a web site . Just click unto Grizzly.com and look under hobby lathes.

Hope this was some help,Good luck. <<<<Don AT HOBBY RODS>>>>>

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.91.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 11:55PM

Joe
As of now and I find it works very well, I find a scrap blank that the cork fits tightly. But before I use it, I also find another scrap blank that fits inside the first and epoxy one into the other to make them strong and so they don't flex.
I am sure you could get the metal rods in several sizes for this also. I had a lot of blanks so I used them.
I just tighten them into the chuck of the drill. Some times it helps to put one or two turns of tape before putting in the drill helps to keep them tight.
With two blanks together they are also stronger and don't crush in the chuck.

My drill has a locking triger, and is two directional.

If you have the room a lath is a lot nicer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2005 12:00AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:21PM

Here is the Grizzley. About $40 (I would order the drill they recommend ($40) as some guys have said that their drill didn't fit! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Turn the grips on a mandrel then ream and put on the blank (the first blown up blank cured me of trying that)

If you want to do it on the blank, order an additional headstock piece (I think that it was about $10-15) and stick a $4 dollar ATV wheel bearing in it and just shim the blank with masking tape to get a snug fit in the wheel bearing.

Laying a towel or something over a long blank will help control the "whipping"

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster