I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson's Forcast RX8+ and RX7+
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 09:26PM

I purchased two 4wt blanks from FishSticks4u during their recent sale. They both appear to be of superb quality but since I don't have anything to directly compare them to I wonder if anyone has built them and has had a chance to fish them and would like to share their feelings as to how they fish/act. They seem to be of a relatively small diameter and maybe less tip action than the Dan Craft FT blanks of the 5-6 wt range. Anyway, don't want to compare apples to oranges, but does anybody have an opinion.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson's Forcast RX8+ and RX7+
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 09:45AM

You might be able to find some comparitive info on the CCS data site if you look.

I have an RX7 in a #4 and it's okay. Not as fast as I've grown to like but it's a good rod by any count. Why not just mock them up with grip and guides and go out and cast them youself and see what you think? That might be better than relying on somebody else's opinion that might like something entirely different than you to begin with.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 11:29AM

I agree, a half hour of time and a little masking tape and you'll have your answers. There is also reveiws of some of the Rainshadow products, and other blanks in the archives at flyanglersonline.com.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 05:07PM

The RX7+ has a little more relaxed feel than a "fast" blank will. I've sold a ton of rods built on them and if you aren't looking for a really fast rod, they're a good way to go. The RX8+ blanks are my new favorite fly rods. I wish they came in a 2 pc just for the ease of selling them. A lot of casters still shy away from the multi pc rods. As Spencer and Danny said, take a few minutes and set them up for some test casting. You'll definately feel a big difference between the two. I would venture to say that if you really like the feel of one, you probably won't like the other one so much. It just depends on your casting style. Good luck

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 10:38PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if I really have a casting style yet as fly fishing is still somewhat new to me and I've only finished a few rods so far and haven't had much of a chance to fish them or perfect my casting. The CCS site has some information on Forcast and Rainshadow blanks but nothing specific on the RX7+ & 8+. . Thanks Jeff for your reply. It sounds as if I might have something to look forward to next trout season with my new Batson blanks. Unfortuately for now, 2 much work + 2 much commute = too little time 4 working on rods or fishing! Sounds way too depressing. 2006 will just have to be a better year for fishing and rod building. Maybe a trip to Charlotte in Feburary would be a good start!
Thanks Guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster