I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Stabilization at Home???
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:41PM

I've gotten interested in this and wondered if others might have experience along these lines.

Others must have tried it. Would be interested in thoughts, experience, techniques used, etc.

What got me interested was having 3 out of 4 zebrawood reel seats (cut cross-grained) "explode" during turning.

Thanks for any guidance.

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Stabilization at Home???
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 09:04AM

Stan,

I think you'll find what you need here:

[www.northcoastknives.com]

Herb Knowltoh tried this method. Perhaps he'll see this posting and chime in. Good ;uck,

Dave

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 10:06PM

Stan.,

I tried the method Dave Gilmore gave you the link for. Initially I thought it was going to be OK, but after doing it was figured it was not cost effective and I was never sure just how much "stabilizing" occurred. I did a maple amd a walnut blank and I'm sure they absorbed some of the material.

I then ran across the following business----River Ridge Products. wood2@rrpwhite.com

I sent some wood to them and was very pleased with the outcome. Nice people to do business with. Check out their site.

I also agree with the post further downstarted by Dave Henney that with some extra care, use of CA glue, etc you can do some excellent inserts. Stabilizing for salt water applications may be more important. I am certainly no expert and just love to experiment with all types of wood . Spalting wood certainly could benefit more than others.

I have inserts on rods that are many years old--long before there was a stabilizing process and they look great. I have not used any stabilized blanks on personal or "friends" rods.------------actually those are about the only rods I do! Makes me want to chime in on the "Going Professional" thread but I'm going to resist.

Herb Knowlton

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 10:35PM

Thanks Dave & Herb for your input. I've been trying to turn some zebrawood cut "cross-grained" and 3 out of 4 have exploded during turning. I have 3 more soaking in pentacryl and will see if that helps once they dry out - don't think it'll help though. CA, in volume, can be costly.

I'm still interested & plan to do some trials using pressure, vacuum, gas-purging, various liquids, etc.

Will post results, assuming I don't cause a serious explosion.

Thanks.

Stan

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 02:23AM

I had some of the same wood your talking about, I had none explode but I turn on a metal lathe. The problem I see with that wood is it doesnt stay straight and it will breck fairly easily.

Thanks Dave

From Miss Ange Essom To You
Posted by: Ange (---.aviso.ci)
Date: October 13, 2005 09:36AM

From Miss Ange Essom To You
EGLISE ASSEMBLEE DE DIEU COCODY
ILOT 15 PLOT 30 05 BP 545 ABIDJAN

Dearest One

Good a thing to write you. I have a proposal for you-this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. am Miss Ange Essom 18years old and the only daughter of my late parents Mr.and Mrs Essom .

My father was a highly reputable busnness magnet-(a cocoa merchant)who operated in the capital of Ivory coast during his days IT is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips abroad year 12th.Febuary 2002.Though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of his who travelled with him at that time.

But God knows the truth!My mother died when I was just 4 years old,and since then my father took me so special. Before his death on Febuary 12 2000 he called the secretary who accompanied him to the hospital and told him that he has the sum of twelve million,seven hundred thousand United State Dollars.(USD$12.700,000) That was deposited in a security company here in Abidjan as a family valuable

I am just 18 years old and a university undergraduate andn really don't know what to do.Now I want GOD fearing person who will assiste me to retrive this fund from the security company.

This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory
coast.The death of my father actually brought sorrow to my life. Sir,I am in a sincere desire of your humble
assistance in this regards.Your sugge stions and ideas will be highly regarded. Now permit me to ask these few questions,
Please,Consider this and get back to me as soon as possible.
My sincere regards,
Miss Ange Essom

Posted by: jarrett.ridlinghafer (---.cm.volcano.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:58PM

[www.woodstabilization.com] Wood Stabilization Solutions International LLC

Our goal is to Empower Small Businesses with Complete Stabilization & Impregnation Solutions at an Affordable Price. To enable you to easily, quickly and most important, professionally stabilize your precious & exotic wood, ivory, antler, fossils, metal, horn & bone right in your own shop!

Are you still shipping your wood out to be stabilized?
If you are, then you are loosing precious time, energy, money and in some cases even your product is lost, ruined or just not up to the standards you have for your business! Why Wait? With our Unique & now 100% Automated 6th Generation Stabilization Systems, you'll not only save a ton of money, time and energy, you will have 100% Quality Control over your business and stabilized product. The system is so easy in less than 60 minutes you can have a batch of hundreds of knife or pen blanks professionally stabilized utilizing the #1 Stabilizer Resin on the Market.

With over 3 years now spent in R&D we have developed the worlds first patent-pending, wood stabilization & impregnation system designed specifically for the small business stabilization market and we stand firmly behind our products with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee & 100% Product Quality Guarantee. With zero system returns or complaints regarding system performance, and nothing but rave reviews about our systems and the stabilization results, we are proud of the quality product we provide to the small business community.

[www.woodstabilization.com]

* System Prices:
o 5 Gallon System -
+ Portable Configuration $1350.00
+ Fixed Configuration $1650.00
o 15 Gallon Systems -
+ Portable Configuration $2350
+ Fixed Configuration $2550.00
o Automated Systems -
+ 5 Gallon Portable Configuration $2850.00
+ 5 Gallon Fixed Configuration $3050.00
+ 15 Gallon Portable Configuration $3350.00
+ 15 Gallon Fixed Configuration $3550.00

[www.woodstabilization.com]

NEW 100% AUTOMATED SYSTEMS
With LCD MENU Configuration

With the automated system you can load the primary chamber, press the start button and come back in less than an hour and your material will be impregnated and ready to be removed. You will now be able to continue with your other work while the system processes your material for you. This new automated system requires electrical power and therefore requires a standard 110 electrical outlet in order to work properly. *We can modify for 220 Upon Request*

* Portable System Configuration
o The Complete System can be located within a 3 ft. square area, resides on wheels and is 100% fully integrated and contained and easily transported.
o This is the same system configuration we've had from the beginning, with the focus being on a simple, compact and portable unit that is suitable for all environments, including a stable fixed shop environment, but with the added benefit that in an emergency or when traveling on the road or those with multiple shop locations, the portable system takes all of 10 minutes to load in the car or truck.
o With this configuration option you have the best of both worlds however, the valves as well as the other major parts are smaller and more lightweight in order to facilitate the system being consolidated and portable. That being said, they are still of the highest quality and come with the same lifetime warranty and guarantee against defects or workmanship.
* Fixed System Configuration
o This configuration was designed specifically for larger shops or for anyone who would rather have everything permanently mounted and out of the way. Each of the new heavy-duty parts has mounting holes and can be easily mounted to a wall or bench.
o By freeing the system up from the necessity of being compact and portable, we were able to evaluate and select much larger and Heavier Commercial Duty Parts. This configuration is therefore made up of much more heavy, larger, and heavier-duty, permanent type adapters, valves, hoses and filters and each will need to be mounted to a wall or other fixed position within your shop.
o This configuration also comes with additional hoses and longer hose lengths for ease and freedom of placement selection. With 25' hose lengths and each part connected via a quick-connect adapter, you can easily place the major system parts in locations to suit your shop needs as well as locate part of the system in one location and another part in a separate location within your shop or work area, if you so desire.
o The fixed systems give you the freedom to customize the configuration to match the needs of your shop since we recognize that not every shop or situation is exactly alike, this now allows you the freedom to customize the configuration to fit your specific needs or requirements.

We have currently identified over 20 different markets with which our system has been selling into

Market Segments

* Knife Makers
* Bowl Turners
* Luthiers
o Guitar Makers
* Violin Makers
* Musical Instrument Bow Makers
* Hunting Bow Makers
o Bowyers
* Pool Cue Makers
* Carvers & Sculptors
o Netsuke
o Wood
o Ivory
o Tusk
o etc...
* Fishing Rod & Reel Makers
* Mammoth & Fossil Ivory
o Teeth
o Tusk
o Bone
o Horn
o Antler
* Archaeologists
o Preservation of Fossil Records
* Burl Wood Retailers and Wholesalers
* Pedestal Sink Makers
* Game Console "Sticks" or Custom Joysticks
* Gun Smiths & Custom Gun Makers
* Gem & Mineral Dealers
* Semi Precious Mining Operators
* Animal Call Makers
* Pen Turners
* Finish Carpentry & Fine Wood Furniture Makers
* Vacuum Mold Makers
* Wood Turners

Download Our Current Product Brochure & Price sheet Here! [www.woodstabilization.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 12:16PM by jarrett.ridlinghafer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster