I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Going "professional"?
Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:56AM

I've made a number of fly rods and as each one is finished I can see my skill level increase. Mostly for my own use, but I did make two for a couple friends, because they are friends. The last one I made I showed to a work acquaintence and he asked me if I would sell it to him. It got me thinking about making it a paying hobby.

I have no formal training and no mentor, and I would like to know from those of you that make rods for your bacon, how did you get started? When and how did you decide to make it your career? Is it truly just a paying hobby for most of you? Is there an employment market for someone who might be semi-retired?

Just curious, really.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going "professional"?
Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 08:15AM

Gosh, I hope there is....I am in the same boat....50 years old...tired of being a machinist...commuting 50 miles to work....Loving doing this and wanting to work from home...Been doing a lot of repair work for the local Bass fishermen....Really want to make it into something I could do from home,,,no employees....just one old fart who wants to spend a good bit of his time fishing....Best of luck with it....I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Posted by: E. Scott Koehler (---.229.30.228.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 08:47AM

Be careful what you wish for!!! Going proffesional sometimes mean that the hobby you love soon turns out to be like work! I am retired Navy, So I don't have to depend on rod building top feed the kids. get a tax ID so you can buy your supplies wholesale, print up a few business cards , and the next thing you know you are trying to meet deadlines. Still there is nothing more satisfying then seeing your customers face light up when they get their " own personal custom rod!"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2005 08:55AM

There is a market for custom rods, but it is a comparitively small one and there are few builders who can make a living wage from it. Most who do also supplement the rod building income with that from tackle or guide service sales. Almost none of the very successful builders who truly do make a living wage from it sell large numbers of inexpensive rods - most are selling just a few rods but for very high prices. And that, takes considerable time and effort in building an image and the suitable clientele for that type of thing.

I'm sure that most builders who sell rods do it from a hobby standpoint and only make enough money to perhaps buy a few reels or take a few fishing trips each year. Few could live off of it.

The past 3 issues of RodMaker contain a series of articles on how and what most builders charge for their rods along with some insight as to the amount and kind of demand that exists for custom rods across the U.S. It might be worth reading if you're really interested in selling rods.

Do keep in mind that selling rods puts you into another work category - that of obtaining the proper licenses, paying the Federal Excise Tax on custom rods, as well as adding a schedule C to your regular income tax paperwork.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.150.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:00AM

I'm trying this, too. But, I am going very slowly. Built a good number of rods now, and you are right. Each one gets easier and quicker. I only have weekends and one or two nights a week available, so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I did get my business license, made a little website (very inexpensive) made some cards, etc. We will see how it works out. I am presently building three rods for samples. I have the idea to offer very specialized items that can't be found in stores, like spiral wrapped rods, split handle drop-shot rods, etc. I think we are too far from the ocean to have a big demand for salt-water rods.
Steve Broadwell
www.bcrods.com

Posted by: E. Scott Koehler (---.229.30.228.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:06AM

Good point, and that is the worst part about going proffessional, Keep accurate records, and have a good tax man, Because at the end of the year Uncle Sam, and your local state governor will be getting their cut.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:31AM

I'm probably at the 3rd edge of what I'd call 'burnout'. It can get to be too much with a regular job, but not enough security (too small of a market area) to just quit and go full time. It goes in cycles, this latest going into the 4th year of just being too busy.

I've been here twice before, so it's easy to recognize. In the past, I just shut down for a year or two and then slowly get back into it. I love it, but it gets to be too much at times. I'm still looking at some other options to deal with it differently this go-round...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:16AM

when i started out i was fortunate to have a good women around with alot of support...and a good job... theres times when your so busy you have no time to sleep but i dident start like that you have to make a name for yourself get known.......other times were yll have dry runs that wont pay the bills... in my area there used to be a lot of bait shops to sell out of but i have watched them come and go due to alot of people buying on the internet @#$%& sites and that put a big crunch on things around here huh i wonder if walmart has minnows yet???? but here in michigan i have the exception of having many species of fish salmon and steelhead thats were most of my sales are... if you get into it dave the best of luck to you sir tight lines Robert crabtree

Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:30PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Do keep in mind that selling rods puts you into
> another work category - that of obtaining the
> proper licenses, paying the Federal Excise Tax on
> custom rods, as well as adding a schedule C to
> your regular income tax paperwork.
>
>
> ............

Tom,

I don't sell custom rods yet but aspire to at some point. What is the "Federal Excise Tax on Custom Rods" ?

Thanks,
Joe.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:41PM

I have found with other hobbies that as soon as I turned "pro", it didn't take long for it to turn into a chore and very unenjoyable! Another thing to strongly consider is your market. Right now, you have friends, co-workers, etc that love your rods, but what happens after they all have them? Is there enough of a market to sustain a long term customer base? Most often, there is not! Like Tom said, to command the kind of price that enables you to make a living can take years of building up a reputation and developing the skill that warrant it. As has been said here many times, assembling a fishing rod is far from rocket science and "eye candy" will only take you so far. I would say that you have to be familiar with MANY types of fishing. If a customer wants your opinion on a "pitchin" rod or "Senko" rod, you better have a pretty good knowledge of them because if he lays out a pretty buck for one, it better perform a LOT better that the $50 one that he can purchase off the shelf (and believe it or not, there are some decent inexpensive "shelf" rods out there. Your rods may look a lot better, but if you're getting top dollar for them, they better perform a lot better, also.

It's a "Catch-22" situation. Before you can command the type of price that you have to have to support yourself, pay taxes, accountant, etc (wholesale prices in many cases aren't that much of a discount), you have to build up a reputation and customer base.
I probably turn down almost as many sales as I take because I am not willing to cancel any plans, give up any fishing or anything else because a customer wants a rod by Friday. The one complaint that I hear the most from builders is "I''ve only fished twice this year" or "I sure wish that I had time to......."

I'm recently retired and I love rod building with a passion but on MY terms. Even if I wanted to, I could never support myself from it and, if the truth be told, I doubt that many could. Actually, I make far more money repairing rods on referral from a local tackle shop. Think about doing that as it's a perfect way to get potential customer's into your shop!!

As far as a web site goes (I design web sites - also when I feel like it), they are a great way to legitamize your business by being able to direct people to it but I would doubt that many people will ever just stumble on to a web site and spend hundreds of dollars on a custom rod.

I really don't mean to be negative but I have seen numerous builders burn themselves out trying to make a living and lose out on a great hobby that can keep you in spending/fishing money.

With all that being said, if that's what you want, by all means, GO FOR IT!!!!!!

WOW1 This is the longest post that I have ever made.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:08PM

Do the math. At $100 or even $200 profit per rod, how many rods do you need to 1) get buyers for 2) work out all specs for what the person wants 3) buy supplies for 4) make 5) ship and 6) do the tax paperwork for EVERY DAY day to match what you make now? How many days in a row can you do this and still enjoy it?

I'm not a rich man, but at $200 profit per rod I'd need to do all of the above for one rod EVERY day EVERY weekday of the year (with no holidays or vacation)- about 260 rods a year.

No thanks...

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:55PM

Wow, thanks everyone for taking the time. There are alot of things I haven't thought about that you've brought up.

I'm thinking more on the lines of supplemental income later on. I know enough to know I don't know enough, and a mentor or instructor is needed to take me to the next level. If I could align myself with a local tackle shop, that might bring a more or less steady stream of clients.

It's just a thought, since I'm thinking more and more of my retirement years in the not -so-distant future after SS dries up. But I must say I was flattered by the offer to purchase my little fly rod that only cost me $55 to build! It certainly looks like a $255 rod.

Dave

Date: September 30, 2005 02:37PM

Hi Dave,

You have the right idea by thinking about "supplementing" your income. It can definately do that plus give you a huge amount of enjoyment and satisfaction. I love what I do and it will pay for my trip to the big show in Charlotte as well as what I hope to be a LOT of purchases of great deals while I'm there.
As far as aligning yourself with a tackle shop, that may be difficult as every sale that they direct to you is one that they lose from themselves. Try to get them to send repairs to you since )at least in my area) none of them do repairs and they always .have customers that want to have a rod fixed. Keep in mind that 95% of fisherman will never buy a custom rod simply because a standard off the shelf rod will more than meet there needs.

Look in the DITECTORY at the very top of this page and see if there are any builders located near you and shoot them an e-mail. Most would be very willing to "show you the ropes". Keep in mind, though, that a few may consider you competition (not very many). Most of us never had a mentor or even new another builder when we started. You have the advantage of this web site and the couple hundred thousand posts that can be accessed via the search feature. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions here.

By all means, sell that rod because every rod on the water with your logo on allows more anglers to see it!

If I can ever do anything to help you, don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:06PM

I like Mr.Barkley am recently retired and do not want to be tied to the wrapping bench.I was also surprised at the amount of guys that want their 20yr.old $30 rods repaired and/or rewrapped. Must be a sentimental thing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:13PM

Another thing to think about is reading your last post, yes a rod can be built for that kind of money. BUT, what happens if the owner breaks it ? Will you fix it under a warantee ? Most blanks with a warantee will cost you a lot more. I will guarantee my work, the blank depends on the company.

Date: September 30, 2005 03:14PM

Rich,

That amazes me also! 75% of the rods that I repair aren't worth the cost of repairing when they could buy a brand new for anoter $10-$20. When I explain that to them they still almost always opt to pay $20 to fix a 10 year old rod that they could replace with a brand new one of $39!

Go Figure!!!

Mike

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:17PM

Dave,
One thing you might consider is building rods on a barter basis. I have even bartered rods for dental work, air conditioning repair, tile work and yard work. Example: People that come to my home to do work always ask me what I do for a living and I mention that I work for so and so and also make fishing rods. At that point I show one of my rods. I have traded work several times doing that. Not all repairmen are fishermen but still there is a chance that they might be.

I wouldn't want to do it as a full time business. There is no health and dental insurance, pension plans, 401's, sick leave, time off with pay or other incentives. The company that I worked for offered all of those incentives including an "employee of the year" award. A few years back I made it and was presented with an after-tax check of $3,500 two weeks before Christmas. It would take a lot of rods to clear that much money. Sometimes we feel burned out at work but start adding up what it would cost you to replace the incentives you have at work and you will be surprised how much money you are really making. I am glad that my wife and I both retired from the same company. We are not rich but I do have enough money for my hobbies and I can now fish when I want to go.

On the negative side, what if you had some personal problem or got sick, who would build your rods? This past week I hurt my back moving things getting ready for the hurricane. I am glad that I don't have a backlog of rods to build or repair. The main problem with custom rod building is that most people don't want to pay what your time is worth. Keep your full time job.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:53PM

Whatever you decide....don't forget about Family, Friends, and Fishing. NEVER sarifice Fishing for rodbuilding, then your just building rods so other people can fish....and no longer have the time to fish.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:24PM

The hobby/craft is so enjoyable to me that I wouldn't want it to become any sort of business venture - like Mike & others experssed - it would lose it's charm and become a required chore. That's my opinion as another retired person.

I'd prefer to trade "equal value for equal value" with another person when ever the opportunity might present itself.

Stan

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 08:13AM

No, I would not make a business or career of rodbuilding, but as a side I could. Repairing would be a part of it, but I don't really have the desire to begin a business venture.

Bartering is something I didn't think of. And, in that case, along what bill boettcher mentioned about warranty, I would use only blanks the manufacturer will guarantee. Having used blanks for my own use and experience, I have bought only four name brand blanks, the rest were inexpensive blanks without warranty. I would never do that with anyone I built a rod for.

You people are terrific! Thanks again. I've been reading the "archives" for quite a while and have learned so much from old posts. If it weren't for this site, I'd still be building rods that I would be embarrassed to show anyone.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster