I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

!! The Yorker Caps revenge ! !
Posted by: Mike Manolis (---.ncas.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 01:54PM

Well I don’t have a question this time but I thought I would share unfortunate experience that I had last night.

I was gluing up a Tennessee handle on a new project i am working on. I was using Flex coats 5 min epoxy and had just carefully squeezed out 2.5ml in the measuring cup. Well I take the part B bottle and start to pour. Both bottles have Yorker caps installed and they work great. But the bottle of part B was a litter thicker and I had to squeeze a little hard. Then a little harder again. It was barely coming out but I was carefully eying the 5ml line. Well I must have passed the Yorker caps pressure threshold. The whole top came shooting off the bottle along with half the bottles contents. Now I had a gooey waterfall running from the top of my desk onto my keyboard. After a few choice words I stopped the spill and threw my keyboard in the trash. After I cleaned up the mess and stoped cursing I got a cold beer and had a good laugh about the whole incident.

Does anyone have any similar stories about mishaps on the rod bench or am I the only moron who has done this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: !! The Yorker Caps revenge ! !
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 03:36PM

Oh boy, don't start another of these. There'll be 10 pages before you know it.

To prevent that in the future, you might try zapping both parts in the microwave for 8-10 seconds. They should both flow pretty easy after that. I've had trouble getting the resin to flow when it's been too cold, but I've never had trouble with the hardener.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:11PM

Mishap? Mishap?? Well, now that you mentioned it.......................Here's the chain of events for my latest-

Saturday night- I'm trimming a strip of that yellow plastic drywall mesh to make a shim for a butt cap when one of the tag ends of the mesh pokes me really good under a fingernail. Knowing that the next day is Sunday, I swear, "Gosh darn it, that hurt."

Sunday- All is well.

Monday around noon- I notice that the fingernail is a little sensitive to the touch.

Monday late afternoon- The fingernail is beginning to really hurt and is now getting a little red.

Monday around 6 PM- The fingernail is throbbing along nicely and is a really cool shade of reddish purple.

Monday at 7:30 PM- I'm in agonizing pain, on the way to "Urgent Care"

Monday at 9 PM- the Dr. says that I should hold my hand really still while he removes that part of my fingernail. I asked about maybe a nerve block injection and he says, "Oh no, that would hurt worse than cutting away the fingernail."

Monday at 9:30 PM- I regain consciousness and I'm sent home with a handful of pain pills, 10 days worth of antibiotics, and a really nice bill.

Morale of the story- Even the simplest of things can go wrong on you. Ya'll be careful out there!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:59PM

Did you say purple, Pete? My wife would like to see that shade; maybe for her next rod???

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 05:11PM

Have yet to spill the finish prior to getting it on the rod, but have on more than one occasion leaned over a rod on the dryer, only to adhere myself to the freshly applied finish.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: JERRY SPRINGS (---.dlsrtr.corridor.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 06:15PM

I hope this makes you feel better, went to Port O'conner Texas to pick up my boat and fishing stuff because of hurricane Rita. I have a rod rack that fits in the bed of my truck and holds eight rods upright. Coming back home with lots of boats and travel trailers for company that have not been down the road in years and a piece of shrapnel comes off the boat trailer in front of me and hits my windshield. When I get home I discover it also struck my very first custom rod I built. It had seven other rods to hit but no such luck!

Jerry Springs

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:35PM

Putter- yep, it went from.....like..... Gudebrod Scarlet, through Garnet, and just about to Purple in about 6 hours. Another 6 hours and something would have been marbelized.

This was another one of my famous "Hey, if you'll pay for the components, I'll build the rod for you free to improve my techniques." type of projects.

Pete K.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:55PM

It's bad dream when you awaken to take a leak & find your head epoxied to a pillow case. Probably wouldn't have happened with faster curing epoxy.

Stan

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 08:26PM

Well, I don't feel so bad now. I started to leave one of my first projects on the drying jig and went back to pick up something off the desk behind it before I left the room. I must have picked up a loose thread tag and it dropped onto the spinning blank. I came back a half hour later to find a bird's nest wrapped around one of the wet wraps. The blank also had pulled out the chuck and off the other V stand and was hanging verticle off the desk waiting for my return. But I got to learn how to strip guides off the next day!

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:13PM

try letting a rookie try to tell the difference between "One Part" finish and Part one-let my cousin build in my shop-did great wrap job and meticulously coated it with part one of two part finish instead of the one-part flexcoat urethane-turned it for TWO DAYS before i checked the bottles that he had gotten off the shelf.his rewrap was even nicer,but his vocabulary while wrapping sure wasn't

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:17PM

The last time I tried to relive some of my worst rodbuilding mishaps it almost cost me
6 months of therapy! Maybe someday I can share also!
I feel everyones pain!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2005 10:19PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.85.62.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:59PM

I could write a book called "Rodbuilding.....*&#$ Happens". (Ray, we need to have a drink and get together on this).

My nemesis is finish. After 20 some years I'm still amazed at how once a rod is drying, I look like I've been tarred and feathered. I don't own a pair of shoes that doesn't have domes of finish on them. A couple of days ago I finished a rod, and 5 minutes later had to help my wife dye her hair. My nails are still black and my hair is glued in clumps with bits of gunmetal thread fused in (thankfully matching the pre-existing grey).

Also, if you use a shot glass to mix epoxy and drink more than the socially acceptable amount of vodka from the freezer while you mix epoxy, I can't stress enough the importance of using a WELL MARKED AND DEDICATED shot glass for your epoxy mixing. I know what Flex Coat tastes like. That's all I'm saying.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 12:13AM

I would love to Mick!
Where are you located?

email me

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 12:36PM

I'm sure glad I drink Bourbon or Irish, when I don't have a beer, Mick. What about: the cat gets in the workroom (my wife will not admit she let the cat in there) and walks back and forth over the turning rod, giving me a wonderful Fuzzy guide wrap on four guides on a customer's flyrod. I had to rewrap & refinish those 4 guides. Only one of many, one is enough for me. I, like Clumsy Carp, am a maladroit. LOL Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.11.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:31PM

Ralph

Maybe you should introduce that cat to the nearest lake ???

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.11.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:32PM

Ralph

Maybe you should introduce that cat to the nearest lake ??? Or a good lock on the door !!

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:49PM

Our files, business & personal are in a file cabinet in the work room, also this computer. So, what good will another lock do? The cat, no comment, I live here.. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster