I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Inlays
Posted by: Joe Preast (---.116.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:53AM

What types of feathers are used for inlays? I want to do some inlays but I'm unsure of which feathers to use. Any help would be appreciated. I did a search but could not find anything on types of feathers. Thanks in advance.
HAGO!
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Inlays
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.94.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:29AM

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:33AM

You can use about anything that you can fit into the available space and that would give you the color or look you want. Russ Gooding wrote the definitive article on this in the Jan/Feb 1999 issue of RodMaker if you care to read it.

Otherwise, let your imagination be your guide. There's plenty of info here on this site on doing the inlays.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.r09.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:49AM

We will not be going to any great depths of different type feather inventory, but as a new item that we have most recently added to our line-up of products, is real, geniune Jungle Cock Feathers. We will have these in the following -- Full Capes in Super, Grade A & Grade B quality and also packages of individually size-matched, small, meduim & large Nail Feathers. You can e-mail us at -- customtackle@united.net or give us a call at 931-684-6164 for pricing. And yes, these are legally imported under C.I.T.E.S. and US Fish and Wildlife Permits.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Mike Casey (69.51.87.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:31AM

Tom is right, use any feather you like. I've even built rods that incorperated feathers from birds the customer shot and their dog retreived, pretty special touch on a rod! Russ' article did give some good advise on handling 'wild' feathers.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:38PM

For those of you that are fly tiers or are familiar with the quality and types of feathers used to tie flies, here is a tip. The webby feathers work best for feather art inlays. Dry fly quality feathers have very fine barbules with NO webbing. Consequently they clump and do not provide a filled-in surface of feather. Do inspect the feathers you are planning to use and select the ones that are fully webbed as your "go to" feathers.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.226.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 07:43AM

Dry fly feathers may be a little stiff to use. maybe soaking them in water about an hour and they may work. have not tried it. Think I will though ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster