I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

another striper flyrod... (Dan Craft FT's)?
Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:21PM

Hi gang,

Finished building a 9ft 9wt Five Rivers FT from Dan a few weeks back, and have been busy puttin here through the ropes on New Hamsphire and southern Maine "stripah" (... feels funny, a transplanted southerner sayin it that way! but these new englanda's are startin to rub off on me!!! lol).

Anyhows, I'm absolutely crazy about this rod, and love it so much that I'm considering building another one, just a tad bit heavier for throwin big honkin grocery streamers 'round the rocks. Not that the 9 hasn't done a good job, would just like a lil' more thunder in the stick for punchin a hole through the 20-25+knot winds that seem to blow EVERY chance I get to sneak over to the coast!!! .... argggh,... wind.... lol

I think the 9ft 12wt is waaaaay more rod than I need, but I'm not sure if the 9ft 10wt is gonna give me any more tangible "bang" than the 9wt I already have... ???

Have noticed that plenty of guys advocate throwin 11wt lines on the 10wt FT, but I've found myself drifting back to throwin what Dan recommends his rods to be rated at...

Reckon the real crux of what I'm gettin at is, do any of you guys own and fish both a 909 and a 9010 FT? Do you notice enough difference between the two in terms of wind and fish fighting power to warrant owning both? Or is the difference minimal enough to be negligable?

Thanks for the help gang,

Nate

P.S. Thanks again for all the help with the blank Dan,... been workin hard to hook up on a cow and give her a real workout! ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another striper flyrod... (Dan Craft FT's)?
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:52AM

Nate,
I have yet to have the pleasure of using one of Dan Craft's highly regarded blanks. I will, however, suggest you take advantage of the opportunity to pick up one of the discontinued Allstar Austin BAF 9010/11 blanks that Andy Dear (Lamar Reel Seats) has on special sale. These are legendary blanks and perfect for the Striper Surf. I just ordered one to replace the 8'6" version I have. The extra length is a definite plus. The added heft is exactly what the Doctor ordered for punching through the wind. Many will mourn the passing of this awesome line of blanks. The factory rod sold for approximately $340.00 and Andy is offering the blank for $85.00. I have a feeling you'll be thanking me if you go this route.
Dave

Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 01:58PM

Nate,

I just fished my FT 9' 10wt for the first time on a Fly trip to the Coronados Islands (off San Diego). I really liked the rod, and it wooped an 8-10lb barracuda with ease. The only thing I noticed is that it seemed slightly underpowered with my depthfinder 400 that I was using that day. I have yet to cast it with a full WF line, but the tip does seem light enough to make it workable.

I plan to try the rod with a full 30 ft of T-14 (420 grains) and see if the extra wt makes a difference. Hopefully picking up a fat Delta Striper. I would bet that you could go as high as a 500 grain head (to push through big wind, and fast current) with ease.

Overall, I like the rod alot and think it would be hard to go wrong having another slightly heavier version.

Hope this helps.

Barret

Posted by: Philip Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 03:26PM

Why not match the line to the rod, rather than start with the line weight? Take a shooting head at least one weight heavier than the rod is rated, attach a running line, and head for a field. Double haul until you feel the rod "fold," mark this spot, and cut the line about five feet shorter. Sew the head and running line together, whip finish the splice, pliobond the wrap and you have a line exactly matched to the casting characteristics of both you and your rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster