I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ist epoxy failure!
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:44PM

I recently assembled my 33rd fishing rod and have never encountered a failure with epoxy setting up in a timely manner. I always measure quantities carefully using syringes and mix in a Jack Daniels shot glass just for good measure. I stir thoroughly for no less than 3 minutes and pour the mixed epoxy on to clean aluminum foil.

In this instance I did all of the above and applied the epoxy to a three inch area of the inscribed butt section using a credit card as well as three guides using my spatula.

After four hours on the turner all appeared well and the remaining epoxy in the foil was setting up properly. On the following morning while admiring my work there appeared to be a sag on the left edge of the three inch area and upon examination the epoxy had not set up along that edge for a 3/8 " wide band completely around the blank with the remaining epoxy well cured. I can only assume that I inadvertantly contaminated the edge of the card or the blank itself in that area. I'll never know for certain but removing the uncured strip of epoxy and reapplying a new coat cured the problem.

If not for this forum and information gained from it I'm afraid I would have panicked and caused a great disaster in my attempt to correct my problem.

Thanks to all of you that share your knowledge!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ist epoxy failure!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:52PM

It wasn't contamination. Most likely, even though you feel you mixed the epoxy well, there was still some unmixed epoxy component in the glass which you then poured onto the foil. That little band was some that you picked up and applied. It never would have set.

Generally, if your epoxy sets up with the exception of some small areas or just a guide or something, you've failed to thoroughly mix all the epoxy and some of the unmixed stuff has been picked up and applied somewhere. You can be almost certain that this is what happened.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 06:21PM

I'm glad that you got it fixed without any hassles, though, Stan. It's nice to know what to do in those circumstances.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: September 27, 2005 06:55PM

Tom, I respect your experience and wondered myself if this may have been the problem but if there was an unmixed portion it was moved in mass to the effected portion of the rod. All other epoxy cured on the guides and in the foil container and the epoxy was mixed by constantly rotating the shot glass while stirring with a metal rod so what you suggest may have been possible but I'd give it no better than a 1000 to 1 chance.
Regardless of the cause the eventual positive outcome is due to the lessons learned here.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: September 27, 2005 08:09PM

The "contamination" thing gets trotted out all too often. Epoxy is rarely contaminated and hardly ever to the point where it won't set up. It just wouldn't explain the scenario you describe. Not that the explanation I gave is sure to the reason, but it would be the most likely.

Either way, glad it eventually turned out okay. That's the important thing.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:01PM

I'm with Tom 100%, it was very definitely a mixing problem and had nothing to do with contamination. You answered the question with your second post and I quote a portion of your post where you stated that "the epoxy was mixed by constantly rotating the shot glass while stirring with a metal rod" end of quote. Stirring with a metal rod is probably the one biggest single problem encountered by those who have problems with epoxy's occassionally failing to properly cure. A metal rod or anything round can and always will lead to disastrous consequences -- such as you just experienced. While rotating the shot cup had you been stirring with a flat instrument (spatula) and created a folding motion within the fluid -- a cement mixer type of action-- you would not have had such an experience. That round rod, be it metal, graphite, acrylic, or depleted uranium is the wrong tool for mixing epoxy -- or mixing anything for that matter -- You can stirr and stir and stur and sturr some more and you will never ever get your components properly blended. These round rod stirring tools are the cause of crazing of the guide wraps, premature darkening, and a host of common ills that get written off as a contamination problem or some such nonsense. Use the proper tool for the job, stop trying to drive roofing nails with a phillips screwdriver.

Ralph

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:07PM

Stan,you say you used a credit card to apply therefor if the card was loaded up and then the rod rotated to apply if the poorly mixed amount of finish was to one side of the card that would explain the edge not setting up.Just a thought to ponder.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 27, 2005 11:13PM

Fred, I'm sure your example is right and Ralph and Tom are probably right as well. It just seems a stretch that only the small amount of epoxy that wasn't mixed properly if that is the case ended up in one spot and all other applications as well as the remaining epoxy cured properly as I pour it out of the glass onto the foil in a
serpentine fashion to allow it to spread out thinly.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: John Esler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:41PM

Hi from Portland, Stan, and I hope the Missouri is fishing well for you this fall.

Dumb question perhaps, but what were you doing with epoxy and your guides. Are you putting epoxy on before you wrap them? I use it for the butt, and the grips, even the top guide, but what about the other guides?

Had lunch with Litch last week, we lamented not being in Montana.

Regards,
John Esler

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:43PM

After reading Ralph's post I am sure glade I bought that Large box of popsicle sticks.

hay Putter, still going to use your dental pick for mixing LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 11:45PM by bill boettcher.

Date: September 27, 2005 11:45PM

Hi, John

Stan's speaking of epoxy rod finish, not epoxy adhesive in this one.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: JOhn Esler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:48PM

Ahh, now that makes sence. Thanks for clearing that up.

JE

Date: September 27, 2005 11:57PM

John, I'd never heard rod finish referred to as epoxy before I found this board, either. It's really a common misconception for people. I always simply called it "finish" and seeing it called "epoxy" baffled the H*&^ out of me when I first saw it on here. LOL!!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:34AM

Stan,
You need to quit using that Jack Daniels shot glass for what it was intended for and then mixing finish. LOL

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:39AM

Gerry,
Now you tell me!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: September 28, 2005 10:37AM

I know you guys are kidding, but for those that don't, I would mention that a glass shot glass is a very, very good container for mixing finish. The smooth sides, coupled with a FLAT mixing stick (spatula or popsycle stick in a pinch) makes one of the very best apparatus for hand mixing finish that you can get.

Date: September 28, 2005 11:05AM

All kidding aside, I actually purchased the two shot glasses I use after seeing them recommended here for epoxy mixing as well as spine finding.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:02PM

Stan,

I was going to chastize you for not purchasing THREE shot glasses right off the bat, but after thinking about it, I guess the one you use for sp(l)ine finding can do double-duty if needed!

Bilgee

Date: September 28, 2005 02:47PM

Bilge

After many years of practical experience I no longer need to measure with a shot glass for its intended use!

Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 06:12PM

Wooden popsicle sticks are better than those little round stirring sticks that come with Flex Coat finish? I used to use popsicle sticks but thought I had read here that wooden sticks were not a good tool for mixing?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster