I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Daiwa Custom Built fishing rod information
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:29PM

My grandfather passed about 3 years ago and left me an old Daiwa fiberglass rod. It's a 6'6", fast action, probably for 4-8 pound test. It has a sticker on it that says "daiwa custom built" around a gold crest. The letters are in gold as well. By the style it looks (just a guess) as 70's or 80's. It had a broken tip top, broken tip, and a broken guide in which the solder had busted on the wire guides. I replaced the broken guide and tip top. Cleaned the other guides with a cleaner after removing them from the blank. Cut off all remaining thread. Kept the hypalon handle, but cap, and aluminum reel seat in place. Did a butt rap of about 7 inches with a grey, to red, to black thread fade. About 4 inches of it is black and that's where i put "IN LOVING MEMORY: ALEX "POP" GORECKI, CUSTOM BUILT BY HIS GRANDSON". I then put a 4 pattern chevron (turning the rod 4 times per pass) in grey to red to black to grey to red to black to gold. finished on both ends in black to gold. The underwraps on the guides or grey (grey has been gunmetal actually, grey is just shorter to type) with 3 gold bands directly underneath the guide. The guide being held down with black. It came out really nice and i wish i had a way to show you guys. I more wish i could have a way to show my grandpa. I guess I wrote this post to kinda say that you should remember with rodbuilding, with just life in general, that even if you don't spend a fortune on the most expensive components, the legacy you leave is in the heart you put into whatever it is that you do. If you have any info on the "DAIWA CUSTOM BUILT" rods that would be great. Thanks again guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Daiwa Custom Built fishing rod information
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:41PM

Aaron, if you can get your hands on a digital camera, you can indeed show us the rod. I would be happy to see your tribute to your grandfather. My grandfather taught me to fish, and to love fishing. I, too, miss him every time I am in the boat with a rod in my hand.

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:06PM

I just saw that you can do that and i posted a picture of the crest with a part of the chevron pattern and another picture of the guide wrap! I left the writing out as that's for me, take care and thanks for the help!

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:02PM

Wow !!!
I feel so identified with all You "young fishermen". I thought I was one-of-a-rare-kind.
I also have had a great GrandFather that not only tought me how to fish and love fishing and Nature, but to build and repair my own rods.
Obviously, my favourite rod now has His name on it, so not to make that missing filling when fishing so strongfully sad.
It is also nice to read about this experience from others, and how we did or want to do the very same thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster