I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waiting Time for Thread Epoxy Application after CP Applied
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:40PM

I just finished two thin coats of Gudebrod Color Preserver #811. Left approx. 40 minutes in between coats. I now want to apply the thread epoxy. I have Flex coat High build formula. How long should I wait until I apply the flex coat after my last CP application?

Thanks

PS. I did a search on the subject but just couldn't come up the proper phrase or words to bring that particular subject up

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waiting Time for Thread Epoxy Application after CP Applied
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 02:42PM

You might check the instructions if any on the CP bottle. U-40 Color Lock 2, recommends waiting 8 hrs when using their product.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 02:53PM

On feather inlays (I won't use color preserver on guide wraps), I wait until the feather color returns to normal, rotate the area on my rod dryer with a swing arm lamp (60 watt bulb) close by the area (for heat to hasten drying time) for an hour and then apply the rod finish over the feather inlays.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 03:24PM

I'm in no hurry! I usually wait overnight although I doubt that it is necesary, but since I'm retired, I'm in no hurry and I would much rather be safe than sorry (Speed Kills!!!!). That being said, I have done it in 3-4 hours with no bad results. I just try not to hurry when building a rod. With me, most mistakes have occurred when I hurry!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 07:07PM

On butt wraps I wait until it is dry. I check on teh tie off area which I will wrap over once the first coat of epoxy is dry. Usually anywhere from 2-4 hours is enough time. Your results might vary, sodo a spare wrap on a test stick so you can check when it's dry & ready for epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:17PM

Like Mike, I hear of too many wierd things happening so I wait over night.
If I am in a hurry, I heat it several times with a hair dryer wating about 15 min in between.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:37PM

It's not about rushing for me. I do it the same way every time so that mistakes aren't made.

The first time with something, if my method doesn't work, I play with it until it does work and duplicate that from then on. Just the way I've learned to do things...

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster