I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split rear grips
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 09:49AM

Is there any benefit to a split rear grip on a spinning rod besides reducing weight? Oh, and that it looks cool too! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split rear grips
Posted by: Nate VanGilder (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:17AM

I've read that the split grip aids in two handed casting. I always just assumed it was for looks and weight.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.147.9-243.newsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 02:07PM

I like it for a couple of reasons besides less weight. It does help with two hand casting by giving me better feel of the rear grip area and I find when I hold a rod so that the handle us under my forearm the grip has a better fit because the cut out part is not hitting my arm like a full grip. Major advantages? No but full grips feel odd now.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: September 23, 2005 04:11PM

The weight reduction is the major benefit. And, the more you mess with it, the more you discover that you can really shorten your sections of cork, thereby reducing weight even more. I've gotten to the point that I only have a 1.5" rear grip and a 2.5" mid-grip (casting), even less on spinning rods. I could probably cut it down even more, but turning pieces of cork that small gets a little tricky.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:01PM

Weight savings aren't really why I do it; it does cut a bit of weight, but usually the weight is needed behind the reel seat. I do it just to have another place to decorate on the rod and because it looks really cool!

It is more comfortable to fish with, like Bill Tune says above, and I'll be building all of my personal rods with splitters on them from now on.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:11PM

I use mainly burl corks and wood which is a bit heavier that regular cork so the splits help with the weight, but weight in the butt isn't really a problem (if anything they need more weight to balance it. I with Putter looks good and gives me a place to put logo/decal, marble, wrap, etc. If desired you can have a longer grip than normal for leverage without adding weight or cost!

What it boils down to is. "It's Cool"

Mike

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 07:19PM

take a regular griped rod and try to flex it in the back (rear grip) nothing happens the split grip will flex (bend) meaning you will increase your casting distance because your rod is getting the full wip effect. It was started in europe over 20 years ago with surf rods and than all the carp rods because you needed a rod with long casting distance .
I don't use any other rods any more.
Mark Crouse- The Munich rod man

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:06AM

i tried it one day because i needed a rod for a trip and diddn't have enough cork to do a full casting rod grip. so after fishing with it for a week i found other than it being a little lighter.i liked it way better than a full grip.i have built many more for myself that way.i found it is very comfortable to fish with.i know where the butt is all the time while casting.i can lay my cheek right on the rod blank where it tapers off the rear butt grip when i am drifting fishing for steelhead.my forearm also lays on the rod blank and rear grip while holding the triger seat.i can also hold the rod under my armpitt with the butt grip and know it is there.like when tying knotts. i just feel i can feel everything a little better.thats what i have found with them.

Posted by: George Roth (---.ruralnetwork.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 05:23PM

If you want to maximize the "split grip" on a spinning rod...try this. I use a 2" butt section consisting of a rubberized cork butt cap and 3 standard cork rings. Place the reel seat where you want it and place one cork ring on each end of the reel seat. This decreases the overall rod weight about as much as possible. I place the reel seat in an uplocking position, so the reel is positioned forward. This allows me to contact the blank when holding the reel for increased sensitivity. Two-hand casting is also enhanced. When fighting a fish, the butt of the rod will contact your forearm...not the mid-section, nor the area directly behind the reel seat.

Have fun!

George

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: September 25, 2005 06:33AM

The split design looks cool, and helps position your hands for maximum leverage when casting.
George, I like the sound of your minimal reel seat split, but find that the heel of my hand needs to be sat on a little cork. That may be due to the downlocking setup. i find cork more comfortable than the threads of the seat barrel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster