I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Buyer Beware
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:07PM

I have just heard from 2 very reliable sources that at least one distributor in the US is selling cork rings with the pits on the face filled to mask the terrible imperfections in the ring.
It's one thing to fill pits in a preformed grip, and another to fill them on the faces of an individual ring.
NOTE: WE ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THIS. Be aware that this is going on and inspect you rings apropriately!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buyer Beware
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:16PM

Since it's the pits and holes on the FACE of the ring that are used to grade the cork, this would amount to fraud, IMO.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:21PM

It would be fraud if they were grading according to the Rodmaker Cork Grade Scale, since this is the only grading system that has a relative standard behind it.

Otherwise, it's a shame that they would do this, or sell such a thing, but you couldn't really call it fraud from a grading standpoint. Remember, other than the Rodmaker scale, there is no standard in place for common "grades" such as Flor, AAA, Super, etc. None of these have any sort of standard behind them. A ring with hundreds of holes and pits can correctly be graded as Flor, or whatever else the seller wishes. It could not, however, be graded as CG1 or CG2, as those grades have a scale (a photographic standard) behind them.

At any rate, be careful. Ask before you buy.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.an1.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:21PM

Thanks for the tip Andy.

Date: September 22, 2005 10:30PM

You bet...

Andy

Date: September 22, 2005 10:37PM

By the way, these 2 sources are completely independent of one another. One is a fellow distributor, and the othere is a flyrodbuilder with 42 years of rodbuilding experience behind him.

Andy

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 03:05AM

I would be very careful on what you say you get get a law suit.

Thanks Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2005 04:30AM

No, you won't get a viable legal action taken against you unless you are accusing somebody of doing something that they are not doing. Frankly, I'm not sure who could go to the trouble of filling in tiny pits and holes in the face of individual cork rings, but it's possible there is another far quicker way to do this than I am aware of.

Filling pits in a finished grip is something makers do to create better looking grips. Filling pits and holes in the face of cork rings is simply to make the cork appear better than it is. It's close, but it's definitely different than filling a finished grip.

Bet thing is just to ask your cork supplier about his rings. Specify that you do not want rings with filled faces. Any reputable dealer will be upfront with you about what he's selling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2005 04:41AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: September 23, 2005 08:05AM

"Viable" or not Tom, folks file lawsuits everyday with no expectation of ever reaching a court of law and good people must spend the $$$ and/or time to respond and defend themselves ....................

So far no one has mentioned any names and it would be wise to not do so.

Date: September 23, 2005 09:37AM

"So far no one has mentioned any names and it would be wise to not do so."

Exactly Joe...that's why I didn't do it.

Dave, I am very well aware of the legal intricacies involved in running a business.Please don't remind me that 90% of the people in this world are lawsuit happy! Even if I mentioned names, it CERTAINLY wouldn't be the names of the folks selling the "defaced" rings". The 2 individuals I spoke of are victims of this practice, not proprietors.

Andy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.205.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:32AM

Yes I understand that -- But -- if they are taking the time to fill each cork ring just to make more money

What else are they doing to make money ????? I would like to know who so I can stay away from them.

I bend over back wards to get people what they want, and want to stay away form people like this

Just my 2 cents.

Date: September 23, 2005 10:46AM

Sorry...I have said all I can on this. Just be aware that it is happening. From the looks of it, it is not an industry wide practice, but it is happening on a small scale.

ANdy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:04AM

That's understandable. Thanks for the heads up though.

Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:37AM

I'm one of the two individuals that Andy refered to. It happened just as Andy described, but I would like to add that I don't feel like the distributor intentionally defrauded me. I would like to think that he also was taken advantage of.
I will continue to do business with his firm.
Gil Mc Millan
G M Custom Rods

Date: September 23, 2005 12:31PM

Gil is correct, the source of the problem I think lyes in Portugal (or wherever the cork is being processed). However the US distributor has an obligation to his clients to make this known in my opinion.

Hey Gil...wanna head up to Sabine Lake to chase some Flounder this weekend (wink..wink..)

Andy

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 06:43PM

Thats what i meant Andy just dont say no names Big Business can wipe out a small business . Lawyer fees alone can wipe out a small business..

Also almost all cork is given a bath in powder to hide the small pits. This has been done for years to cork.

Thanks Dave

Date: September 23, 2005 07:05PM

Dave,
Yes, I know it has been done for many MANY years. There is however a big difference in bleaching cork, and filling pits in cork.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 07:40PM

Andy's initial post indicated the POINT: Let the buyer be aware, cork or otherwise.

Stan

Date: September 23, 2005 09:50PM

Thanks Stan!

ANdy

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 09:12PM

Anybody that is hand filling pits in the faces of individual cork rings won't be in business long. They'd have to charge $10 to $15 per ring to be able to afford to sit there and do that to each ring.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster