I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reading material
Posted by: kevin kidd (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:46PM

i was wanting to know if anyone knows of any thing on line that tells you how to build rods. i have some info but was wanting a web site that may have some more in depth info. i have never built a rod yet but was planning on starting one this winter. i am going to order a video from mud hole but was not for sure which one was the best for beginners. thanks for any help ya may have.

Kevin from Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reading material
Posted by: David Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:57PM

Kevin;
Mudhole did have several articles on their web site about basics.
Ken Preston has some basics on his website.
Bingham (from the sponsor list) has a couple of links to more information on basics.
BUT
Do a search on this site for rodbuilding basics and there will be a lot of posts with info.
Better yet
Buy a book from one of the sponsors on the list about the basics. Then you will have it right
beside you when you finally do get started. Ready reference right at your side. Several of the people
that post here often have written books and made video's of the basics involved.
From what I have seen here most of them will readily respond to a specific question once
you get started into your first project.
Be forewarned though that if you enjoy working with your hands and are a type that
enjoys fishing --- building a rod will become an addiction.
David A.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:03PM

There are several places on line that have basic rod building instruction, but none of them have what anyone would begin to call "in-depth" information. A good book or video will serve you much better.

The online library here on this site does have in-depth information, but it's more suited to particular areas of rod building rather than part of a basic "how to" series.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:14PM

I don't think any site has more indepth rod building info than this one right here. Look up top at all those buttons. Read the FAQs and then the library and then the Glossary. You'll have much more info at your fingertips right here than on any other rod building site in the universe. Not to mention a search feature hooked to the 160,000+ messages posted here in the last 3 years. Whatever you want to know, you can find it here.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:28PM

I'll speak out and tell you to get Tom Kirkmans Book, it's THE BOMB for beginners!!!! A good video is Flexcoat's How we do it. My .02 worth

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:34PM

Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman would be the best $15 or so that you could possibly spend. It's step by step with tons of pix. It's available from Mudhole as well as most other vendors. Also, spend some time going through the FAQ's, Glossary, Library and Phot pages at the top of this page. There is a wealth of info there. Also, take advantage of this site and ask questions and use the SEARCH feature. There are well in excess of 100,000 posts archived here.

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 23, 2005 12:57AM

Kevin Kidd - Take a good look around right here at RBO. PLENTY of information at all levels of expertise. Between MudHole's On-Line tutorial and Tom Kirkman's "Rod-Building" book, and the FAQs & LIBRARY & GLOSSARY here at RBO, you have more than enough to get started. And the RBO SEARCH Engine has a data base of over 28,000 different Message Threads, totalling more than 160,000 Replies. Kidd, you are standing in the middle of the world's best repository and forum for rod-building information. All you gotta do is get busy and fill your creel.
LOL, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

P.S. - If you ever get hooked on rod-building, RodMaker Magazine, and Dale Clemens' books and videos (like Doc Ski's) will prove very valuable in improving your knowledge of rod-building and your craftsmanship skills. A small price to pay for the return on your investment.

WARNING: Rod-building, and day-dreaming about it, can become habit-forming, and may be hazardous to other relationships. Participant discretion is advised.

P.SS. - Do yourself a favor and go to the MudHole website and request a free copy of their 2005 Catalog. In the front is a 6-page PRIMER, "STEP-by-STEP ROD-BUILDING". It will keep it simple, and has clear illustrations. Order the Flex Coat Booklet "Step-by-Step Rod-Building" as your table-top reference if the MH-Primer is not enough. Tom Kirkman's book is the next level up in general reading. Then Dale Clemens' book "The NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building" is the most comprehensive reference book for general rod-building. Tom Kirkman's RodMaker Magazine is the only other thing that can top Kirkman's own book, or Clemens' book. There are some specialized rod-building books that are tops in their specialty, but this is just an introduction and not a literature review. And there are plenty of new Videos and DVDs to take us where our own rod-building skills have never gone before. Enjoy your own Rod-Trek. -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2005 02:00AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 04:30PM

I just started about a year ago, and to be honest I didn't get very much out of the video I bought, and it came recomended. I would buy Tom's book though, allot more detailed information. The video just moved to fast yet so slow. In my personal opinion, General rod building is not difficult at all, guide epoxy is the only exception, read as much as you can from this site on tthe procedure, I am just now getting it, but still can cause a mess. everything else is pretty straight foward and not difficult at all if you have some tinkering skills, until you get to decorative weaves, cross wraps and handle turning but i am not there yet, just enjoying making a bad surf rod or 3 and redoing some older rods. I have learned more from this site and the search feature than anywhere else times 10.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 07:59PM

Kevin,

This site is well worth it's weight! There's a ton of info available. Just search for it and then ask questions.

You won't go wrong purchasing Tom"s book. I think it best explains the rodbuilding basics of any text I've seen, and I have most all the books on the subject. Get Tom's book and read it several times, and practice, practice, practice......

Guaranteed to get you addicted to the craft.

The good thing is that you'll be able to rebuild most any rod you build (within reason).

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster