I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adding a coat of Permagloss over epoxy
Posted by: Mike Manolis (170.22.76.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 03:27PM

I painted and recoated a blank. Well it appears my mixing ratio was a little off and after two days the surface has hardened but is still a little tacky.

(Note to self: Use a labeled mixing cup and live with a little waste instead of being cheap and winging it.)

My question is can I add a coat of Permagloss over the epoxy? I don’t want to shoot from the hip on this and find out that Flex Coat and Permagloss = bubbling disaster

Or should I mix up another batch of Flex Coat?

Being a bumbling novice at this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding a coat of Permagloss over epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2005 03:31PM

Stick with the epoxy and apply a well measured and mixed application. Putting anything else over a non-cured epoxy surface is just likely to create a bigger mess.

Date: September 22, 2005 03:41PM

That’s what I am going to do then.

Thanks for the quick response to my question. This site is great....

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 04:13PM

Mike,

It is to late now, but did you read the article in the library by Ralph O'Quinn on refinishing a rod blank?

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 04:40PM

Being a novice also one thing I learned so far is to mix the proper amount every time. Epoxy is relatively cheap so it is not wise to risk screwing up all your time and effort for a small 'cheap' batch of epoxy.

Date: September 22, 2005 04:48PM

Unfortunately I did not. I just found this site and I am in the process of soaking up all the great info on here. I will just chalk this one up as experience and order some Permagloss for my next refinish job. After reading that article it looks like epoxy is not the best coating.

Another newbie question. Not having using it before Permagloss is a one part finish correct?

Thanks for the reply

Posted by: Ken Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 06:58PM

Permagloss is a one part finish.
Ken
Bro-Ken Tackle

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:39PM

Do a search on this site for Permagloss as it has some very unique characteristics (You've only got a matter of minutes with it) and specialized application techniques. Great stuff but you jhave to realize that it isn't like any other finish.

Mike

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:56PM

I have been using spar urethane to refinish older rods with good result. It dries to the touch in about 4 hours at 60 to 70 degrees which gives you more time than Permagloss. Works well on both graphite and fiber glass blanks. I also use it for coating guide wraps on fly rods, it takes 3 or 4 coats the same as Permagloss.

Bob

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 02:55AM

FYI...Flex Coat does not make for a quality,long lasting blank finish. Permagloss or the aforementioned spar varnish are much better in the long run.
Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster