I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tie-in loop
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:37AM

I keep misplacing my tie-in loops. Anyone have any tricks to keep tie-in loops close at hand? Thanks!

Currently, I am using old fireline as a tie in loop. I would rather not cut a new piece everytime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tie-in loop
Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 08:08AM

Scott

I keep my pull through loops in my mouth. I know some people put a piece of yarn on the end of theirs so that they can find them easier.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.129.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 08:38AM

I put a red bead on the end of mine, gives the extra grip when the weather warms up. 4lb fireline tends to slip through the fingers. I keep about 10 to 15 in a glass jar at easy reach.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:46AM

I use 17lb.test Gold Stren mono and have a lot of them all over my work bench. Don't use clear mono as you will go blind trying to find it. Jesse

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:45AM

I am like Myles. A bead and braided line like fire line and spectra.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:50AM

I tie mine into a loop then fold a small square of masking tape over the knot. Then I take red Sharpie and make a large red dot on each side of the tape. This is almost a necessity for me as I have to take my eyeglasses off to do any closeup work. I wouldn't be able to find the loop at all without the help of that red dot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 11:22AM by Rob Matarazzo.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:04AM

I'm part of teh REd Bead fan club. I've had the same tie off loop for over a year now. 10# Tuf Line, which was well worn and all the color was gone from teh line. I also cleaned the line with alcohol before using as a tie off loop.

I couldn't hold it in my mouth, becaus ethat would prevent me from cursing at the rod while wrapping. I'd also pass out from lack of Oxygen since my guide wraps take so long, lol.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.32.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:41AM

I use masking tape and beads and swear I put in on my thread holder every time I'm done with it but without fail, I still have to make at least one new one during a rod. I could tie a buick to the end of one and the darn thing would still somehow vanish on me between guide wraps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:45AM

USe a bigger bead and make sure the loop is permanately knotted to it. If you lost them, eventually you'd find all of them since tehy cannot disappear with that loud Red color and the size of them.

I get the sense people have teh Evil Sock Monster visiting them while wrapping guides & tehy look for teh tie off loop. What, you aren't familiar with teh Sock Monster? Ever wonder how you put a load of clothes into teh LAundry, and ALWAYS end up with mismatched socks? WEll,teh Sock Monster comes and eats 1 of teh 2 socks you put in the washer/dryer. It's the same with teh tie off loop Monster, when you look away, he sneaks in and grabs the loop and hides it from you. THere is also a Pen Monster

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 01:07PM

Tried the bead on braid and didn't like it. I could never get the length just right. I always seem to make the loop too long, and then when wrapping the bead would flop on/over/around/through the wrapping thread. Really frustrating when doing 1 turn inlays, and like I need 2 more hands anyway. I got in the habit of hanging it on the adjustment screw for the rod support on my lathe. I loose mine to the vacuum cleaner all the time.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 01:53PM

I like yarn as a marker rather than a bead as beads weigh more. I keep a jar full handy anyway.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: david williams (---.226.6.1.formysite.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 05:15PM

i thought i had the monster must be his cousin that lives here

david williams

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 06:05PM

I still can't find my 1997 fireline loop......so I just use peices of thread that are generally readily available. Is there something I'm missing out on? Is there an advantage to premade specialty tie off loops?

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:25PM

I use colored beads tied to 8# Power Pro and tie up 3-4 loops for each rod support and attach the loops to each rod support. My home-made wrapper has five rod supports. If a loop is mis-placed, I can quickly find a replacement loop.

Stan

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:44PM

I just snip off a 6" or so piece of thread. Don't care if the monster gets it cuz I have a whole spool!!! I have enough things to try to keep track of without worrying about 6" of something that cost under $3 for 100 yards (That's about a half a cent for each tie off). I just add the extra cost to the price of the rod!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 07:46PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:49PM

Great advice all. Thank you!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: September 23, 2005 12:52PM

I just drop mine on the floor so that I have to hang on to the rod, and the thread, take off my cheaters and then move my chair back, twist my back and swear like @#$%& trying to find it and then wind up making another one.

I think I am going to try a few of the suggested solutions posted here :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2005 12:54PM by Scott VanGuilder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster