I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rods
Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 07:09PM

I am 16 years old and my aunt wants me to build a surf rod for her son for Christmas. He lives in Pensacola, Florida and fishes off pears and beaches, sometimes on boats. I have built four freshwater spinning rods (you may check them out on the photo page). This will be my first surf rod and need a little help. I would like to know what would be a good surf rod for the fishing that he does. Also wondering what size thread I should use and if I should use a spiral guide placement.

Any additional details would be appreciated.

Patrick Rippe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rods
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:43PM

Hi Richard,
I checked out your photos. Good work, really!

You could use all "A" thread if you wish. It is plenty strong enough. Some builders switch to "C" thread
for the larger rods. Also, if you underwrap the guides I would suggest size "A" for the underwrap and
size "C" for the overwrap. ( A is less bulky and makes very smooth underwraps and the larger "C" will
wrap easier over the smaller "A" thread ).

Generally, people don't take surf rods on boats because the longer rods are not needed there and are
difficult to use in a confined space.

I haven't built a surf rod yet but other board members who have, say the "simple spiral" otherwise called
a "bumper" style makes a fantastic surf rod. I would ask your aunt if your cousin uses a spinning or casting
type of surf rod unless of course you already know the answer to that question.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:05PM

Richard,you will also need to know if he will fish bait or plugs and what the casting weight will be.Some surf guys throw 8 to 10 ozs plus bait!!!others like myself plug or throw metal which is usually less than 3 ozs.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:03PM

Richard , your email is hidden. I have something you might be interested in . We build quite a few surf rods but sell even more blanks . The Rainshadow SU1569 might be more than you are looking for , but the response has been great . I had one person tell me with 8oz he almost used all the line on the reel .He said he could not believe such a light weight rod could throw like that . There are many more to tell you about. Give me a call at Fishsticks4u , 804-746-9711, or our shop number 804-966-7577

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.129.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 05:58AM

Richard give Robert a call you won't be disappointed with the help and service you will receive.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:27AM

I'll second that .Good guy.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 22, 2005 02:02PM

Something like a 2-piece-9-foot blank, rated around 1-4oz lure weight, (and about 12-25# test line) could be what you want to consider until you get more information about your cousin's usage, and sinker+bait or lure weights, and the size of the fish he hopes to catch. From a pier, a rod over 10 feet can be cumbersome to use, if not dangerous. If you lay it down against the rail, others may step on it, or so much leverage is above the rail that a strong hit could flip the whole rod & reel overboard. Goodbye, $250 !!! - IMO, Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 22, 2005 05:31PM

Richard - I don't know who is financing this project, but your Aunt should know that the least expensive custom surf rod would be around $60 for all the components. A better rod blank and more reasonable budget would be around $100 for all the components. Both of those figures assume zero labor costs. This information may influence your Aunt's decision. I (and most others here at RBO) just remember those early days when people first discover that you can, and do indeed, “make your own fishing rods”. They usually assume that it is less expensive than a factory-made rod. LOL!

By now, you know that sometimes you can only buy the custom rod blank for the price of an entire factory-built fishing rod. I just thought I’d bring that reality into view because sometimes relatives don’t include such facts in their thinking. And emotions and implied family obligations trump logic.

So, if you have extra time away from your own school work this Fall, and if you want to take on a labor of love to build a proud surf rod for your cousin and Aunt, good luck. Otherwise, you may want to bow out gracefully. Either way, look before you leap, Rich. Best Wishes, –Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:23AM

I fish the surf quite a bit. If he wades out and then throws the bait/lures, a 10 footer is all that is needed. It is hard to load a long rod when standing chest deep. Distance is the key to surf rods. If the fish are in close then a 10 is also good standing on the beach. In colder water, and getting really far out there, you can go as long as you want. I find that an 11 serves dual purpose and a 12 is great for standing on the beach. I'm building two mudhole 1322's at the moment, and am hoping they will throw 8 plus bait. Shoot me an email in a few days and I'll let you know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster