I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodbuilding Room
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:32PM

We are currently rearranging my home and dealing with the small space that I have to begin with.

In the course of cleaning and organizing the piles of junk we have in storage containers in a small room off the basement, my wife suggested we clean it completely out and make it into a rustic cabin themed room for which I can use to build rods, tie flies, post pictures, and generally get out of my wife's hair when involved with my obscession.

So, with that winded intro, here's my question?

The room is approximately 9.5' long by 8.5 wide. Do you think that this is enough space to build rods in? I would elect to turn cork handles and reelseats in the garage (when I get around to doing it), so it'll mainly be used for wrapping via homemade jigs, tieing up flies, and storage for much of my gear.

I don't own a powerwrapper and usually wrap my rods in two pieces anyway.

Tell me your thoughts.

ALSO IF YOU HAVE PICTURES OF YOUR ROD BUILDING AREA AND ARE IN SIMILIAR SITUATION REGARDINGS SPACE, I'd love to see them!

Defjam@core.com

Thanks,
Domenic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodbuilding Room
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:41PM

Dominic,

That's enough room for a nice set up. You might consider putting counter space along 2 walls. What I did was buy a couple of inexpensive narrow kitchen base cabinets(about $25 each) and set an 8 foot formica counter top (less than $50) with a cabinet under each end. This makes a nice looking, easy to clean workstation that is the perfect height. You could do the same thing on 2 walls and that would give you a great L-shaped area with plenty of room for rod building, fly tying, computer stuff or whenever you just want to hibernate!! You can always add additional cabinets to give your self as much drawer space as you want.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.221.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:36PM

Since you are going to clean every thing out , Paint the complete room with some thing that will not let dust stick to it Oil, Water base ??
Parts drowers for thread and guides. Maybe wall charts to show colors and types of guides so you can pick them by numbers easy.
Good vacumn cleaner to keep it dust free.
I like the idea of two walls of counter space - a good height and a good chare .
Places to stack the blanks, ceiling, walls ??
Maybe a devider for the finish area, a certain ??
PLENTY of light and a GOOD type.

I have No Room and that sounds like heaven !! Of course a place to read your RodMaker. And a place for the computer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 05:57PM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a sheet of 3/4 PLYWOOD and have them split it in half Long ways and Glue and screw it together.use a 1X6 for a back splash if you are going to do two walls in a "L" get two sheets. if you want a duable top surface grab a sheet of 1/4 inch Hardened Masonite and have that cut also. SCREW it to the top of the PLY NO GLUE(so you can replace it later) Base cabinets are nice,Get drawer units and Regular Cabinets . Plenty of good lighting (see posts)

I build on the edge of my 6 FT desk with Brackets made on "C" clamps , works fine!

If you have to cut a hole in the Wall for longer work! LOL

OH AND YOU OWE YOU GREAT WIFE A NICE DINNER!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.129.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 06:06AM

Dominic,

You should feel good, my wife just keeps having babies so I would have to do my rod building in the garage. I haven't told her I have a bottle of rum hidden out there. Wondered why my epoxy was wavey.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 08:21AM

Menards has a nice cabinet setup for garages, but also looks very nice in the house. I purchased two cabinets over the weekend and have them now installed in a spare bedroom we have. Plenty of room in those cabinets for the time being (first time rod builder 7 months now) maybe latter i'll have to expand them. Just having a hard time figuring out how to store the rod blanks I haven't built yet.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 09:02AM

Look around your area and look for people re doing there homes. may find some good kitchen cabinets ?? And lumber.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:42AM

Guyz,

I really appreciate the responses filled with great ideas. It seem to get some of you going and others felt depressed about realizing their reality! LOL!

My wife is awesome, I must admit...But, she gets enough good dinners outta me. This is payback, in a sense, for all the gratuities that I've dished out. Of course, I am a smart man and would never repeat that publicly in her presence!!!

Thanks Again,

Domenic

Alan H.--- How about cutting up some PVC conduit into 2-3" lengths. Gauge the diameter size based on the quantity of rods you need to store. Use the Heavy duty schedule 40 stuff and mount it to your wall up high so that the rods can be store length wise . Put a cut piece every 10 inches or so with a slot in it so that you can get the rods into the holder. Need a pic...email me Defjam@core.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:05PM

A good set up and arranged work space makes it easyer and more fun to build.
Do it right.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:19PM

Alan,

A piece of vinyl gutter trough with matching hangers cut to whatever lengt/lengths that you want and mounted on a wall work real nice and are surprisingly inexpensive!! They can be picked up pretty cheap at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:46PM

There are also large hooks cover with vinal that have threads on them and can be screwed up into the ceiling to hold rods or blanks.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 04:11PM

Wow...what timeing!

Believe it or not, I am in the process of moving my son into a new downstairs room I built for him and his older/smaller room will be my new rodvuilding room, (this is the weird part-is about the SAME size as Domenic's!) and all the ideas are wonderful!!!

Thanks ALL :)

DR

Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 10:34PM

I would also say that I would turn blank wall into a storage area for fly tying components. Place a piece of peg board on the wall and get hangers for it and just hang everything up just like it is in the fly shops. Makes finding those things you need so much easier and looks good to boot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster