I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 Part Epoxy problem/question
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:08AM

Like many of you I use Flex Coat High/Lite build epoxy for finnishing my wraps. Lately I have been having a problem with the bottles setting up on me. I do drill a hole in caps of the bottles and mount the syringes in them. Last night I went to grab a new bottle of hardener (black) and it had also begun to set up.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the epoxy need to be stored in some manner? I was of the impression that short of mixing and or contamination the seperate components have a very long shelf life. Is there a way to save what I have remaining?

Thanks,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 Part Epoxy problem/question
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:22AM

What do you mean by "setting up?" Is it just getting really stiff? If that's the case, just zap it in the microwave for about 6 seconds. I often need to do this during the winter because there aren't any heat outlets in my workroom. Just be sure to let it cool down a bit after you do this or the epoxy, after being mixed, will set up really fast.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:24AM

A friend gave me flexcoat that he did not want. It's at least 5 years old and it works fine. It will crystalize if left in a cold area but warming will bring it back to it's condition.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:27AM

Normally the hardener will not crystalize. Exactly what is happening to yours? Is it becoming solid or just getting a bit thick?

Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:34AM

In reply to Tom K., the hardener is setting up into a rubbery paste (crystalizing?) way to thick to pour or extract with a syringe.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:53AM

Heat it in a pan of very hot water or pop it in the microwave for about 6 to 8 seconds (cap off) and see if that doesn't fix things. Cool temps generally make both parts a bit thick. Epoxy should be stored in a dark but fairly room temperature envinronment. Some, like LS Supreme, do best with the hardener in the refrigerator, but most only require that keep them out of extreme cold or heat. Neither will ruin the epoxy, but you have to take steps to get it back in useable shape before you can finish with it.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:06PM

Jim
If your hardener in the bottle is setting up into a rubbery paste -- there is one thing and one thing only that could cause this -- you must have initiated some epoxide into the amine -- probably by switching syringes and thereby effectively contaminating the hardener. There is nothing you can do to save the remainder, don't even think about using it, trash it and both syringes that you have been using, Hardeners (Amine types) will ordinarily barely thicken even in extreme cold weather-but never under any circumstances will they set up into a rubbery paste as will the epoxies.
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster