I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap?
Posted by: Nate VanGilder (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 04:20AM

Hello all.

I am considering building my first rod, and have found a great wealth of knowledge here. I want to build a casting rod, and have been studying all aspects of doing so. However, there is one thing that has me a bit confused when it comes to building it.... Spiral Wrap

I checked the Glossary:

**Spiral Wrap
A method for taking the line to the bottom of the rod on conventional casting type rods. Results in a rod which will not twist under load and is inherently stable. **

I'm at a loss here. Can someone explain this to me? What line goes to what bottom of the rod? Is a Spiral Wrap similar to a decorative wrap, or is it some mystery procedure that I'm not grasping?

ThrashMaster@adelphia.net

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap?
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: September 21, 2005 06:14AM

Hi Nate,
the spiral wrap guides the fishing line to the underside of the rod when using a baitcasing reel that sits on top of the rod. Like this [www.rodbuilding.org] and this [www.rodbuilding.org]

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 06:17AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 06:30AM

Nate,Good idea would be to get Rodmaker back issues 6-5,3-5,4-2 and the latest bumper spiral article(cant remember the #) .This is good easy to understand reading.Once you try a spiral chances are you wont go back.A search of the archives will result in a lot of discussion but without the basic understanding you may get confused.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.131.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:58AM

V8 #2 with the Bumper Simple Spiral is probably where you should start. Once you build one that way you may not even care about any other type of spiral wrap system.

Posted by: Nate VanGilder (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:54PM

Thanks for the replies. Although practical, I can't say I'm thrilled of the look of the offset guides. I fear change!! LOL

I plan on building a (2) piece rod for light to medium Freshwater applications. Kind of an "Anything and everything" use rod. Something I can bottom fish with, use a float, or toss inline spinners and light spoons. Would a spiral wrap work, or is it better suited for (1) piece rods?

Thank you again for the help.

ThrashMaster@adelphia.net

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2005 09:17PM

A spiral wrap is better on all casting or conventional type rods. As long as you put your guides on top of the rod, you have rod twist to contend with. It may slight or may be severe, but it will be there. The greater the load you put on the rod, the worse it will be. The spiral wrap just provides you with a more docile and comfortable rod to fish with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster