I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tru oil
Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:21PM

Is a tru oil finish alcohol resistant? If alcohol is used to clean up some epoxy when gluing up the reel seat can it affect the finish? I think I always have a little too much rod bond in there so I always have some cleanup even with masking tape. Last year I had a couple of Pjurchased reel seat inserts which got a little tacky for a while when I cleaned up with alcohol. I think they were coated with a varnish. I would experiment but I am sort of running out of time. I have some tru oil curing at my mom's house but I am at home.

thanks

John kepka

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tru oil
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:43PM

John
Are you talking alcohol contact on a fully cured tru oil finish?
You have to watch using rubbing alcohol (91%) to clean rodbond off of a reel seat insert with a tru oil finish. The alcohol will soften the tru oil finish a little and take the gloss off of it.
I use tru oil on seat inserts all the time and mount reel seats with rodbond as well.
Try not to spooge the rodbond all over the insert and use dry q-tips to remove the excess goop.
In fact I don't use any solvent to wipe the rodbond off the wood.
Maybe weaker 70% alcohol would be less damaging to your tru oil finish?
Hope this helped.
Best,

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:53PM

I have had the same experience as Josh. I do all my bonding before I apply Tru Oil. Keep in mind that when you are bonding things together, all you need is a thin film of Rod Bond on the parts (if they are a good fit) More is not better when it comes to Rod Bond. Make sure that you scuff the inside of you seat hardware and insert before bonding and you should have no problems. When it is all finished/cured, put on the final coat of Tru Oil

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2005 09:51PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.82.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 09:15PM

What Mike and Josh said. It will dull the finish. The last thing I do on a rod, next to the butt cap, is the finish work on the grips, though it may be backwards to some folks. But if you prefer to do the opposite, as you are mounting you stuff, get your cleanup gear ready and BEFORE it is in final fitting, say a millimeter or so, do your cleanup. Get the excess off as you go rather than slathering with epoxy, ramming things home and then doing damage control. With a little care, you can get off all the goop and then do the final setting with no cleanup required.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster