I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom Kirkman and others
Posted by: Chris McCabe (---.ip.ll.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 11:13AM

Tom,
I think I have asked this question before, but still can't seem to get an answer that I am satisfied with. I am just starting in this endeavor of rodbuilding, but at some point may consider it as a side business. Anyway... How can a builder properly suggest a blank for someone else. I'm not talking about looking at a catalog of blanks and choosing the right length and such. What I am after is how to correctly suggest a particular power and taper for a specific use. If a person was to purchase a manufactured rod and then decide that it's close but not quite exactly what they want, then decide to have a custom rod built to suit their needs; figuring out what might better work for them would be fairly easy. What I want to know is if Joe Schmo came to me with the need for... let's say a cranking rod... How do I go about suggesting the proper power/ action blank?
I now see so many companies making technique specific blanks. In the case of a cranking rod, a lot of campanies are using MH/Mod or H/Mod blanks as the norm. Why? Is there some big advantage of the moderate action vs. a fast action. And how is it that the same blank doesn't make for a good pitching blank? If the person that came to me with the need for the cranking rod, had used a manufactured rod that was labled as stated above (MH/Mod) and didn't like the way that rod felt; how would you go about making a better choice for the person?

To take this a step further, I have an older BPS Rick Clunn spinnerbait rod. I only used it once and absolutely hate it (this is the reason I went to custom rods and now want to build my own). It's listed as a Heavy action rod. My best guess is Heavy / Fast. Don't remember what all I disliked about it, other than it was too stiff for me. I prefer a M/F for spinnerbaits, but that's just me. If Joe came to me I could suggest what I like in the way of a spinnerbait rod, but it is only my preference. It may not be what would be the "optimal" rod for him. I don't use crankbaits a lot, so I have no idea what would and would not work for this person.

So what I want to know is how does a builder go about suggesting a blank (power and action) when they have little or no knowledge of the technique?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom Kirkman and others
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2005 12:17PM

Well, you've hit on the main problem - you cannot offer extremely good advice unless you're knowledgeable about the type fishing the customer is going t be doing.

There is no easy answer here. If a guy trolls for Musky, and you've never fished for or caught a Musky, then you probably have no business building Musky rods. Unless, of course, you're prepated to have some dissatisfied customers.

The bottom line is that builders are probably better off sticking to building those rods for those type of fishing that they have an intricate knowledge of. I doubt you want to hear that, however, so I'll add one thing that might be of some help to you. No matter what the type of fishing or the type of equipment involved - you can learn more about any of them. For instance, RodMaker has published many rod type specific articles (surf, stand-up, musky, great lakes trolling, spiral, etc.,) that offers you a great insight on what is required and proven to work for these types of fishing. You can study articles in magazines and books that spell out the requirements for various types of fishing. Most will at least offer you some guidelines for what is preferred in terms of rod length, power and perhaps action.

And... you can always fall back on this website. This is one of the things that it's designed to do - clue you in on what others have used in specific fishing situations and what worked well for them there. Asking for blank recommendations (or using the search function in case it's been asked before) usually gets you a pretty good response from builders knowledgeable about the type rod being built.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 12:40PM

That is why I consider picking out a blank to suite a persons " FEEL " that they are looking for, The hardest part !!
One thing I try to do is get any numbers from a rod they may be using and ask - what do you like, and what don't you like about it ?
How they expect it to feel is always hard. Things they say like , I like a stiff, or I like a soft rod helps greatly.
Like Tom said, ask here for suggestions on blanks used, together with some common sence, and hope you built the right one
Unless you can have them come over and play with some blanks???
Heck I should charge for the " research " of the blank, some times it takes me several days to pick one and then my guts has to say that's it. Sound funky ??

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 01:24PM

One of the things I have done is to slowly over the years get extra blanks to show the customers and let them feel. It is not something you can do over night. I have thousands invested in blanks alone. To cut corners on some manufacturers like Cal Star and Seeker( which are close in action and numbering) is to buy the longest blanks of a certain series and If the customer wants something shorter at least you know the action and feel he is looking for. I am still amassing blanks from various manufactures and just use them for helping the customer dial into what he wants.

Yes the more techniques and types of fishing you are familiar with will help. I have been fortunate in this area because I love all forms of fish although I have to admit I am still in the HACK catagory of Fly Fishing. Since I am still way below the curve in this area I enlist the aid of a few of the highly noted fly fishermen in the area to help me with blank selection and hardware and any other tips that will help get it done right. You will probably find that much of your work will be with in your sphere of knowledge or knowledge that is available locally. If you do end up with something really out of your comfort zone you have no better place to come to ask questions than this site . There are rod builders here from all around the country that can help you with almost any problem. I am sure if you asked a question about what type of rods to use for Columbia River Sturgeon or trolling for Musky you will bet more than a sufficient response to help you decide if you wish to take on the project. The info is here just ask the right questions.

Another trick I use is to have the customer meet me at the best local shop with the biggest selection of blanks. Have him look through them for something in the ball park. The problem here is that they see the price tag on the factory rod and then you hit them with something much larger. This is where you have to explain the differences of what you will be doing for him to optomize the value of a given blank. Knowledge is power and you usually only need to explain like this once because after they get a properly assembled piece of equipment they tend to understand you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps some. These are just some things that have been of benefit to me in my business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2005 01:25PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 02:55PM

"...a lot of campanies are using MH/Mod or H/Mod blanks as the norm. Why? Is there some big advantage of the moderate action vs. a fast action."

Braided lines work much better with these moderate actioned rods here for crankin' walleyes. Fast actions are more suited for monofilament when used the same way.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 02:56PM

Chris,

I might try emailing one of the pro's who are known for crankbaiting. Such as, David Fritts or others. If you get BassMaster magazine they will list all kinds of pro's and their specialties. Just a suggetion.

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 09:26AM

You can find a lot of pro fisherman here: [espn.go.com]

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 10:23AM

THe best way to be able to sell your product is field testing. I know why a fisherman wants a slower action with a spinnerbait he/she is using in shallower water with little cover, possibly a prespawn/postspawn type condition where you are casting on the edge of flats looking for cruisers and reaction bites. Now that I've said that you can't understand why the slower action is a benefit till you catch some fish on the rod and keep them hooked. Also slower actions and longer rods are prefered in the previous situation where on a river you will want a slower action with a little shorter rod for accuracy reasons. So when the fish usng the current to its advantage the jumps and runs don't pull the hook out of a poorly hooked fish. A slower action is basically used to give the fisherman more room for error is the simple reason I suppose. Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for, but I tried.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster