I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Home made rod labels on a laser printer?
Posted by: Dan Nichols (192.195.154.---)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:40AM

Hi Everyone:

I just finished wrapping a set of 7 rods. They turned out fine, but I neglected to label them. The blanks are all black, but the butt section of each rod has a large section of solid blue covered by flex coat.

I was thinking of running off a set of clear address labels on a laser printer with the text I want. Cut them to size and attach them to the underside of the butt section of the rods (on top of the flex coat). Then, apply another layer of flex coat over the top of the labels.

My concerns are:
1) Will the text on the labels run when the flex coat hits it?
2) Will the text on the labels fade from the sun?
3) Would an ink jet printer be better for the labels?
4) If I use a Brother P-touch to make them, would that make any difference?

I realize that I can order labels from places like decal connection, etc. but I'd like to avoid the extra cost if possible.

Thanks in advance

Dan Nichols

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home made rod labels on a laser printer?
Posted by: Larry Thoma (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:43AM

You may want to shoot an email to Decal Connection or one of the suppliers that provides custom decals. If you have 7 rods, that would justify the cost. Most other label is less that the best.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:50AM

Depends on what color you want the label to be printed in. If your choice is white, then you will have to either paint or wrap the label area white prior to applying the label and make the label background to match the blank. Laser Jets and Ink Jets cannot print in white.

You would need to coat the label with either CP or a Fixative to keep the ink from bleeding.

Yes they fade badly!

Still you should consider IMHO Decal Connection. The extra cost is hardly nothing compared to your time and components to create a custom rod.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:54AM

Pennywise, pound foolish!!! Spend the bucks and get the best from Decal Connection. Inkjets fade even worse

Mike

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:07PM

i don't know about printing on address labels, but you can do it on paper. with a laser printer and good paper you can make labels. you need to make the label, spray label with krylon matte finish spray, then put cp on it. then you can put your epoxy over it. do a search for making your own labels. if all of your labels are going to be the same i would opt for decal connection. good luck.

Date: September 15, 2005 12:22PM

That's just the problem...each label will be different.

I want each label to have my name, the blank model and the line rating.

Example:
Dan Nichols
Seeker 670
20 (30) 40

My understanding from looking at decal connection is the cost savings comes in when you have multiple labels of the same thing.

How about the Brother P-touch idea?

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:48PM

I have done this a few times myself. I have epoxied right over the labels without any other protection like CP or whatever. I did not have any problems with the ink running. I use HobbyPoxy finish. The problem I have is that you can only do this over a light colored background, such as a white blank or a honey blank. Also, the "clear" Avery labels that I use are not as clear as you would like them to be, so sometimes you can sort of see the label in the finished result.

Date: September 15, 2005 01:14PM

Around $3 a label is a small price to pay for a beautiful metallic custom label.

Mike

Date: September 15, 2005 01:15PM

Around $3 a label is a small price to pay for a beautiful metallic custom label to put on a custom rod.

Mike

Posted by: Scott Fossum (65.214.202.---)
Date: September 15, 2005 05:36PM

Decal or laser printer will work.
Decal will be thinner.
Use the lase printer to print white. Print a "text box" that has black background with white font. Cut out the rectange label. Use a black sharpie to color edges. Round the corners to make it easier to stick on. Use double stick scotch tape and apply to rod. Apply label and make sure all edges are sticking. Trim off excess double sided tap with razor knife and remove "tape glue". Coat label with CP making sure to saturate edges and where the tape glue was. Repeat CP. Apply finish.

The finish needs to be high build and will probably require 2 coats due to the thickness of this method. You can eliminate the tape and make it thinner by using CP as the glue. It is more difficult to get the paper label to adhere to the round blank with only CP. The additional thickness over an already finished rod will either be viewed as "way cool" or a totally screwed up job. Beauty is the eye of the beholder.

If you have the time, use a scrap blank to experiment. Or take the easy way out and spend the $$ on decals.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 06:42PM

stan mclean - I saw your posting in photo's. I was wondering what you are using for paper? I've tried it by printing on and then cutout it out from photo paper in the circular end of a butt cap, cp'd it down, krylon matte sprayed (2 coats), then epoxy over and really liked the results. The toughest part was cutting it out - I got some of the circular cutters and made my own templates to help. But my experience with 'thinner' products even decals is not good...the ends keep curling up on me and I was assuming regular paper, even good paper, would curl as well and that the success with the photo paper was due to its thickness mostly...your thoughts? Not that I dont like the idea of decal connection, its great, but love the idea of learning and doing my own.

Date: September 15, 2005 06:45PM

Opps, I dunno if it was timing of the post or if i just scrolled by too fast and missed it but I see the technique Scott Fossum outlined sound like it might work...makes sense anyway so I'lll try that. If you ahve any other thoughts thought that would be great as well. Thanks.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: September 15, 2005 07:02PM

i use real high quality printer paper. i use Best Test Paper Cement to glue the label to the blank.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 08:35PM

It shouldn't; Krylon Fixative would be a surer bet. Do a practice and find out.

With a laser printer, I don't know. Do a search?

NO!!! Definite fade problems there; believe me!!

I don't have any knowledge personally with these; there's been many posts on it though; again, a search!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: September 16, 2005 04:29AM

See the links below to some useful ink fade/test and protection info i found a while back.
Hope this hepls.

[www.livick.com]
[www.livick.com]

Date: September 19, 2005 03:36PM

I've been convinced that decal connection is the way to go. I was under the false impression that the decals would be more expensive than the $3 that they are. (I'd seen a price on a competing website of almost $8 per label).

I haven’t received my labels yet as I only ordered them today. However, I am already impressed with my dealings with them. They are a class act.

Thanks to all who responded and kudos to decal connection.

Dan Nichols

Posted by: Scott Fossum (65.214.202.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:59PM

for these ?
sorry, haven't been online in a while

Yes. You need to use CP to "fix" the laser "toner" . Be very careful when applying the CP or it will cause it to run. I just daub the 1st coat on. I put a total of 3 coats of CP make sure the lable face and edges are coated.

No fading. Main concern is to make sure the edge of the paper label has been sealed w/CP and then with the epoxy finish. If you have a ridge at the edge of the label after the 1st epoxy coat, it is a potential entry point for water. I hate ridges and will apply another thin coat of epoxy to eliminate the ridge.

Don't know. I always use a laser. Learn 1 method and practice till perfect. When you get it perfected, it's very easy to make great labels.

I have not used this. I assume you are talking about a labelmaker. The good/easy thing about using a wordprocessing program and laser printer is that you get to choose lots of different fonts and font sizes. I use a different size for each rod depending on the diameter of the blank and how many characters is in the label. You can use size 2 font and make a poem that would fit (needs better eyes than mine to read).

If you want a sample of the labels, email me and I'll email you some that you can print. I'm not implying that this is the best method for labels, just the method that I use.

Scott Fossum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster