I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Using the SEARCH Feature
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 07:36AM

Is there something which prevents people from using the SEARCH feature? I use it all the time before I post a question, most times I pick up a tip related to what I was going to ask, other times the EXACT same question was previously asked and I find what I'm looking for there.

Some topics are asked over and over, and the guys get less and less of an answer. A quick search will give so much more info, why don't more people use it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using the SEARCH Feature
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2005 07:42AM

They should, but it's human nature to prefer that someone one else do the work for you. Thus, rather than spend a few minutes searching, you just ask and then sit back and wait for the information to come to you. This is pretty common on all forums, not just this one. I doubt things will change, but it is good to remind people once in a while that there are something like 160,000 past messages posted on all manner of rod building topics here. It's rare that you can't find an answer in the archives if you use enough search terms.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 10:07AM

No doubt the Net has taken rod building to new heights but it has also created a lot of [for a nice way of putting it] lazy people. New ideas come from having the initiative to try something new or different. I really wonder about someone that has to ask what colors to wrap a rod, how do they determine how long the guide wraps will be? and on and on and on. Where did the pride of figuring out something on your own go? A couple of days ago a lot of people were wondering what would happen id .ORG went off the net. We would do just like we did before Tom started it up. We would survive and a lot of people would have to start thinking on their own, which they should be doing now. Jesse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 15, 2005 10:12AM

It is definately not a .org exclusive, lol. It's just a little frustrating when you put a lot into an answer to a question, and a week later someone else asks the same one. Then you do your best to give them an in depth answer as well. After a couple of times of the same EXACT question, you no longer answer, and the people who ask do not get the in depth info they are looking for.

You tried to take care of this with the Glossary & Library, yet teh same exact questions get asked which are in there. I do realize a lot of new people to the boards are not aware of where to get info, but quite a few of the repetitive questions com efrom people who have been on teh boards for a while. I'm sure I' guilty myself, but more often than not I check the archives before I ask a question.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 15, 2005 10:45AM

YEP! - "Look before you leap" or "Research before you Post" would be a good motto to practice. (Even I forgot this recently (grouper blank for trolling Mann's Stretch 25+.))
Perhaps such an exhortation would be a very good thing to include in an updated RBO Banner and Introductory Text in the Forum Header.
Check out the RBO Search Engine, FAQs, Library or Glossary, FIRST.
Then, "Welcome back to RBO. How can we help you?" ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:03AM

Billy,

Wrong side of bed this morning? Seriously though, I have often had the same question. Being a relative new guy to rodbuilding and the forum, I don't do much posting -- rather, just lurking and listening. But part of that is that many of the questions I have are either answered by the ongoing discussions, or in the library and/or past postings. I probably spend as much time using the SEARCH feature and where it leads me as I do keeping up with the current discussions. The amount of information available on the board in past postings, as well as the library, is absolutely phenomonal -- but, as you point out, there are a tremendous number of pretty much duplicate questions and responses. I've often wondered why you "old guys" on the board have the patience to continue to post the extensive (repeat) answers to the repeat questions. Is that dedication to the craft, or what??

Bilgee

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:22AM

While I agree with everything that is said above, consider this! Everybody uses the search function, etc and finds all their answers, so there is no need to post a q1uestion so the number of posts dramatically drop. Newcomers stumble on to the site and notice that there are few recent posts (like most other sites) so don't come back very often. As activity decreases, sponsors start to wonder if they are getting enough bang for their buck! Then where are we?

I get as frustrated as the rest of you but figure that's human nature. Jessy, I'm with you - What color thread should I use??

Mike
I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 15, 2005 11:44AM

Bill, I'm always on the wrong side of the bed. Why "old timers" continue to make posts answerring the same old same old questions - I'm far from an old timer, far from a Pro on Rodbuilding....BUT, I am an interent old timer, and I do know some aspects of Rodbuilding very well. I enjoy sharing what I know, what I learned from others, and what I figured out on my own with others. A lot of times, that requires long posts and a lot of explanation, especially by me because I have a hard time describing things on a computer screen.

Mike makes a good point abotu the board becoming stagnant if the repetitive questions stop. I think that is true. For every "old timer" that gets fed up with teh same old same old and stops posting on teh boards, tehre are 2 new guys who join the high traffic board. If the posts stopped, teh old timers probably would still leave, but the new guys will also stop coming.

Jesse's point about thinking for themselves - GREAt idea, you should copyright that, lol. Seriously, why is this a question only board? Why dont' more people come on here and say, hey, I tried this and look what happened, it worked. Or didn't work. There are a few of these types of posts, which imo get a lot more hits and posts than the which color for a Matte clear blank posts. I think people might feel egocentric if they come on here and say, "Look what I did". Those are the best posts, a lot of times someone will see it and say, WHOA....and a week later will come back and say look what I did, based on that. I wish there was more of that......Let me Search, maybe there is and I didn't notice? lol.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:45AM

If people would put something intelligent in the subject that relates to what the subject of the post is it would sure help when using the search function.

There are 5 pages of post "For Tom Kirkman". If people would put the question instead of just that others would know what the the subject is. Posts with just "Help" is another example. Who is going to do a search for "Help"?

IMHO we all need to think a little before we post.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2005 11:59AM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:00PM

I could be wrong, but the search feature is not directly related to just the subject text. I believe it searches the entire text of a post to find matches to a search.

One thing I have found helps in my searches is to not give the search engine to much to information. Sometimes a search of "paint" will yield more than "painting blanks"

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (163.206.192.---)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:08PM

In reality very few questions couldn't be answered by "Use the Search Function" or "See the FAQs Section". Maybe one of those Sticky messages that stays at the top of the page with a friendly reminder would help. Tom does a good job of keeping this site focused on rodbuilding, and as Mike pointed out, it would be a shame to see activity dry up because new people always got a canned answer.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:25PM

I have to agree, and disagree with the subject of this thread. I'm a new rodbuilder, and have used the search feature extensively over the last couple months - I've learned a TON of info from these back threads - however, there are sometimes a few specifics that have not been addressed in the old posts. On those occasions, I've posted a new question - and usually been greeted with incredibly generous, courteous replies - I've appreciated that help more than I can describe. Also, I've received snide commentary from more experienced builders who seem to consider themselves almost too good to answer. My question in that case is "why answer"??? You would hope that most newbies would come and use the search - but why berate them if they don't? Nobody is forced to post, read, or reply to anything on here - why get confrontational? If you are irritated at people asking a question that has been asked already, simply don't reply to them. I agree, a sticky thread reminding and encouraging the users to use the search function would be a good thing - but you will have a nearly impossible task to get everyone to do it.

Date: September 15, 2005 12:51PM

You can search with 3 criteria, separately or combined - Author, Topic and/or Message Body.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 01:05PM

This a bunch of blahbity blah crap. If everyone used the search feature and found what they were looking for the board would only need to be an archive or data base. Then you would only need the board for posting new ideas and the board would slow down dramatically. But to sit here and call everyone lazy isn't right. It kills me that some of you are sitting here putting yourself in a higher standard looking down on some newcomers who have asked the most basic questions. Give me a freaking break! If someone asks a question you can either respond or not. It's not mandatory.

Date: September 15, 2005 01:08PM

Rich - very good point about snide comments, I might lead teh league in snide & sarcastic comments. Ratehr than hate me, understand teh point of telling someone to go into teh Search feature. Speaking from my own telling you to check the Search - that usually indicates I know for a fact, or I feel very strongly that there is a post in there that has a lot of info for exactly what you are looking for. I'm not really angry at everyone asking the same questions, I just think the people looking for answers would get more info if they used the Search feature, which would benefit them. But yes, if someone asks the same exact question 3 or 4 times, and the question has been answerred 3 or 4 times directly to them, I'm going to berate them, lol.

I get the sense a lot of guys are "pimping" the internet (not just here) - they get whatever info for free that they can, and go about their business, without ever contributing. just an all out barrage of questions, followed by a month or 2 of silence, followed by more questions. For this trade specifically, there are books, magazines, seminars, shows, clubs (granted, not nearly enough, but thta's being worked on) - that would have to be paid for. RAther than the "pimper" pulling money out of his/her pocket & spending the time neccesary to get to these events - they rather sit at home (or work) on the computer and ask the same thing over and over & never understand what tehy are being told.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: September 15, 2005 02:24PM

Billy - I agree, the internet has exposed a lot of people that are interested in taking, not giving. I know I feel guilty coming onto this incredible resource and taking info - albeit from a new question or a search of "old" info. I look forward to the day when I feel comfortable giving some info, sharing my knowledge and experience! (I gotta build a few more rods before that will happen LOL!) For the time being, I'm trying to support the sponsors with my (still limited) business - and I'm dropping hints like CRAZY that I NEED a subscription to Rodmaker for Christmas :-) And you are right, this website is FAR from alone in that respect. You certainly hope that most have an appreciation for the give and take that creates a community like this one - and that they feel the need to give back. Although, in my experience, fishers tend to be one of the more generous groups around. Rodbuilders, this special subset of fishers, appear to be the creme of the crop. I believe the craft attracts people who are willing and happy to share. Oh, and Billy - although your tone comes through as "berating" with people on occasion, it's easy to see the tongue in cheek and good nature there :-)

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 03:13PM

I normally don't participate in these types of threads but I just have to throw in my 2 cents worth. While I can appreciate the frustration of those who feel like they're answering the same question 4 or 5 times. But I think we have to remember that this is a growing hobby/business and we have new people showing up all the time. Every single one of us started this craft with absolutely no knowledge until someone helped us get started or we read a book or whatever. I do have to agree that I have never understood the "what color thread should I use?" threads. Having said that, if someone does ask that, you can either ignore it, or provide a reply about a certain color combination that you used that really tripped your trigger. While I wouldn't have someone else choose my wrap colors, excepting a customer of course, why is it wrong for someone else to ask of they can't come up with what they're looking for on their own?
I use the seach function a lot and at times it works very well. But at times, if I happen to be looking for a specific answer on a CCS for example, I can sit for a long time scanning through a ton of threads to see if what I'm looking for is even there. And maybe I've gotten caught up in the whole needing (or wanting) an answer too quickly and should spend the hour looking through the threads that a seach provides. But sometimes I just flat don't have the time.
I believe that putting a reminder of some type about the Seach function is a good idea. It would give a clue to new people that the option is there and it would be a good reminder for the rest of us. But as far as I understand, Tom doesn't get charged more for this site if there are more posts on it. If you see a post that is a repeat and you don't want to answer again or read it again, just don't open it. No need to berate them, tongue in cheek or not. As I said, I understand the frustration completely. But let's not run any new people off in the process.

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 04:21PM

I'll agree with Mike and Jeff. We cannot forget the human interaction factor that this provides. When I search the data base, I dont always find the answer I may be looking for. Some times it takes an online conversation. Bill, relax!

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 04:22PM

I'll agree with Mike and Jeff. We cannot forget the human interaction factor that this provides. When I search the data base, I dont always find the answer I may be looking for. Some times it takes an online conversation. Bill, relax!

Date: September 15, 2005 04:33PM

Actually, I do get charged for the amount of bandwidth used and for the size of the database (which is getting really huge). But... I would never want people to stop posting and interacting in order to save me a few bucks. The only I ask people is that they try and stick to topics directly related to rod building. And if somebody does start insulting or really berating somebody or anybody else, they won't be around here very long.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster