I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what fly rod for steelhead/small mouth?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 14, 2005 10:09PM

Hello all. I am looking to build a fly rod to use for steelhead and smallmouths and initially thought to build a 7# weight but today at a shop the salesperson said that a 6# weight would better suit my needs.
I am new to fly fishing and rather confused. Any advice? I fish primarily in Eastern Ontario in the Nottawassauga river.
thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what fly rod for steelhead/small mouth?
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: September 14, 2005 10:22PM

I feel an 8 1/2 or 9 ft 6 wt is excellent for smallies, one of my favorite targets. I, like Tom K., also use a 5 wt if I can get away with it, if the flies won't to be large, wind resistant, heavy or not much wind. I feel if I go larger than a 6wt, then yes, casting is easier in rough conditions but playing the fish is not as enjoyable. As far as the steelies go, can't really help you there.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 11:54PM

Looks like a job for a Dan Craft FT 905-4 blank. I'd go 6 wt FT if the favorite fishery is steelhead. Dan Craft made and fishes a steelhead drift rod out of the 6 wt.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:03AM

The type of rod is also dictated by the type of water you will be fishing ie. large rivers or small to medium sized streams. Just a thought.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 08:21AM

Randy hit it right on the money. Some streams here in Michigan you might be able to fish with a 6wt. On the Big Manistee, because of the considerable hydraulics, we need to use 8wt rods. In order to land a Steelhead on a 5wt, I would think you'd have to "play" the fish until you tire it out in order to land it. If you're planning to keep them fine, but a Steelhead that's been played until it tires out might be stressed too much to survive if released - they don't like to give up. And since Steelhead are consideratly larger than Smallmouth, I wouldn't think you would use the same rod for both.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:06AM

hey tim your in michigan were abouts im from muskegon and the guys are correct feel out the rivers your fishing first and decide i like an 8wt myself and smallies will still give the rod a good run for its wt......

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:22PM

Line weight and river size aside, do steelheaders prefer fast (tip action) or slower rod blanks? A friend complained that his current steelheading rod bent too deeply into the blank and he didn't have enough backbone to stop/fight the fish. When he said he wanted a fast action rod, I suggested that he try Dan Craft's FT blank. Then I ran into someone who claimed to be deep into steelheading and when I asked him about his favorite blank action he said he likes to stay away from fast action blanks because they are too tippy.

Comments on action preferences for steelhead would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:55PM

myself i like a faster action rod in the bigger rivers and mod.fast in the smaller rivers its all in personal preferance what you like is what you like go with what works for you .......

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: September 15, 2005 02:09PM

Dan Craft! The FT 6 wt would be great as a smallie-steelie combo rod. I just built the 7 wt as an exclusive steelie rod...off the charts in lawn testing. WAY WAY good.

Or just get the 7 wt...better matched for steelies...and very suitable for the smallies.

Keith

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 02:44PM

you may want to build one for each. i would use a 8 or even 9 wt. for steelies.when you get tore up by a large hot steelie on a 7 wt.you will know why..

Date: September 15, 2005 04:10PM

Tom,

Beating a dead horse aside, you never said what side of the coast you intend to fish. The tributaries of Lake Erie for example(my home waters) you could get away with a 9' 6wt. and fish from Ohio to NY with out any problem. Two exceptions to that would be the Niagara river and the Catt. For the Niagara a 9 wt or heavier would be able to handle fighting the fish in the strong current. and on the Catt which has some far reaching lies a longer rod of about 11' would suffice in either a six or eight weight. But for streams like the Big Man in Michigan say below Tippy I would say a longer rod (spey type) would allow you to reach far off lies and will give you more leverage in fighting a fish, Your best bet based on location would be to wrap two rods. One for Smallies and the other for chrome.

About rod action I usually fish with a float rod and pin and I prefer a rod with a soft tip and a powerful but section. The action the G. Loomis IMX is perfect. I've been looking into the raven IM9 in 15' and the Loomis Canada Frontier 15' rated for 8 - 14# line. Any thoughts on those rods?

Randy

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 15, 2005 04:54PM

Thanks for all the replies. I should have been more specific in regards to my location information, I am fishing Lake Ontario/ Georgian Bay tributaries and medium and small sized rivers and streams.
Tom.

Date: September 16, 2005 03:41PM

Tom,

I've never seen the tribs of the GB area. I do know some pinners up there and most of them are using some pretty stout gear for streams like the Notty, and Maitland. From what I've heard thoe are two fairly large rivers. Maybe go with something heavier so you can fish a wider range of water. Hope some of the advise I've given you will put you on the right track.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster