I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

installing eva over cork tape
Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 06:18PM

First off thanks for everyones help in getting the right gear. Now it's time to start building. I am building two mudhole 1322 surf rods, fuji seats, some really expensive fuji heavy duty casting guides, fuji butt cap, and three fuji eva surf grips to go along with cork tape. I plan on wrapping the tape from reel seat to butt and sliding the butt cap over the tape and installing an eva grip behind the reel seat. I am also going to wrap cork tape in front of (foregrip) the reel seat, and add two eva grips in front and behind the foregrip. Questions are as follows: I don't see anyway for any type of clamping here, and would that even be necessary? When I instal the grip behind and in front of the reelseat, what would I use to clean up any excess epoxy on the cork tape? When or if I ream the last (top) eva grip should I leave the front of it reamed less to conceal the end of the tape? I have winding checks for this also. Again, many thanks for all the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: installing eva over cork tape
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 09:30PM

Hi Robert,
No clamping needed. I would be very careful not to get adhesive on the exposed cork tape. What I would do is mark the place where
the foam grip is to go then apply adhesive to the cork just on the side where the foam starts its slide into place and not the foam. As
the grip slides it will pull the adhesive with it and just before you get it to its final place stop and remove any excess adhesive so you
don't push it onto the exposed area. If you do get some adhesive where you don't want it, remove it before it sets up and any residue
can most likely be removed with isopropyl or acetone.
It might be difficult to cover the cork tape end with a winding check so yes, leave the foam I.D. smaller and just cover the cork tape
completely.
Anyway, that how I would do it.
Also, you might concider not installing a foregrip at all! I've seen some photos on the board of rods built without them and I like the idea
a lot and I'm building 2 casting rods that way now.

Good luck with the build!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 13, 2005 10:09PM

Hey thanks a bunch. The eva behind and in front of the reel seat will be all the way up to the reel seat, so I'm not that worried about pushing it (epoxy) onto something. If anything it will get on the seat and that is an easy clean up. It sounds like I'm going to have to muscle these on there since I'm getting the impression that I'm not going to be able to use the epoxy as a lubricant except for the length of the eva. Will the epoxy penetrate the cork or will the solvent penetrate and damage the cork or tape adhesive. Sorry to be so inquisitive but I feel that understanding the problem is the first step in overcoming it. Oh and these are to be casting rods too. I have seen some rods with just tape and a wrap, but I personally don't like the look. I do however put functionality first, but hey this is art right?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 10:27PM

If you have to muscle them alot it might not be nesissary to glue them at all. The friction between the foam and the cork might be very
strong indeed. If the rod is for yourself and not a client, try not gluing and see how long it takes before you detect any movement of the foam.
I would wager you will never detect any at all if the fit is tight enough!
The epoxy might soak into the cork as well as the foam some but not enough to be concerned with. In fact those two
surfaces will glue very well!
I would think if you wiped the cork with a cloth lightly damped with isopropyl or acetone you would not leave enough behind to "soak in"
but if you used to much solvent, now that could be a real problem. Havn't had to do this myself however. Just an educated guess.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 11:07PM

Those cork tape finishing mini-grips (see pg 38 or Merrick's online catalog) can be difficult to instll over cork tape. I found that no matter how lubed I got the cork tape and mini-grip I could not slide them home all the way, esp on the butt end - with or without a push board, using alcohol or finish as a lube, and even using air pressure to float the mini-grip on. I wound up ruining a few grips and distorting the cork tape. What happens is that as you slide the mini-grip over the cork tape the mini-grip material effectively wipes the lube off rather well, and the friction between the rubberized cork tape and the mini-grip all but stops you.

I slid a 3' piece of shrink tubing over the slightly lubed cork grip, bunched up the shrink tubing at the thin end opposite the cork grip, and using rod finish or paste epoxy slid the mini grip over the shrink tubing, and easily slid the grip along the shrink tubing and over the cork tape on up to the reel seat. Holding the mini-grip in place I then pulled on the shrink tubing from under the mini-grip, and left the grip in position next to the reel seat.

It is also "alot of fun" (being sarcastic) streching mini-grip over the thick end of the butt. The shrink tubing makes is bit easier though.

The shrink tubing comes in various diameters. I used a piece slightly larger than dia of cork tape. I would not worry too much about the clean up of the epoxy residue since it EASILY wipes of with plain alcohol if done right away.

Lou

Date: September 13, 2005 11:41PM

That's what I'm talking about, tips and tricks. Yes these two rods will be for personal use, so I'm not opposed to giving anything, especially something I can change later, a try. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster