I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept and guide height question.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 04:45PM

I've decided I want to build a spinning type rod for Salmon fishing and have read and reread the New Guide Concept article in Volume 7, Issue #1. And I want to build a rod in the 9' - 10' range. It would make sense to me that the distance from the reel to the "intersection guide" would be the exactly the same distance on a 7' blank as it would on a 10' blank - correct? And all guides from the intersection guide to the tip top would be the same size, and the guides from the intersection guide back to the reel should be selected based on the distance from the blank to the edge of the table.

If the article says not to predetermine guide size, are there any tables avaiable that give various guide heights? Since I don't have a drawer full of about 500 guides, I'm still going to be ordering a bit in the dark. I've got Mudhole's, Batson's, and Angler's Warehouse catalogs but none of them give height measurements. Once I have my blank and the reel seat with my reel attached, I'll know roughly how many and what will fit, but I'm mainly lost what to do for the reel to the intersection guide.

The reel angles forward when the feet are placed horizontal. It would seem to me if the 3 1/2" or so at the center of my Shimano reel intersects my current 6'6" rod at roughly 55" away, it should be close to the same 55" on a 10' blank if the reel seat is the same diameter. So couldn't I use my current setup as a template to order my spinning guides and then place them exactly where they should be? But if I still don't know the heights of the guides, I'm still not sure what sizes to order. Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide Concept and guide height question.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 04:51PM

The length of the blank won't change the intersection point for any given reel - you are correct.

Now, you don't need 500 guides. All you need is one complete set of Concept guides plus a handful of the small running guides which most likely will end up being #6's, or #7's if you're using mono in the 12lb or under category. #8's at the outside.

With a full set, you can easily set this up. You'll end up with perhaps 1, 2 or maybe 3 guides you don't use. So, $5 to $10 in extra guides will sit, or you can save them for the next rod, or throw them out and just consider their expense part of the cost of having a really fine performing rod (I'd keep them for the next rod if it were me).

Once in a while in a pinch you have to introduce maybe one or perhaps two regular height spinning guides into the mix, and if so then just choose the SVSG type frame.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 05:41PM

Batson Enterprises / Forecast catalog has the height of all guide styles. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. The Batson Catalog IMHO is the most comprehensive catalog in the industry..
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381..

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 06:02PM

Thanks Tom and you're exactly correct Bill. I went back through your component catalog again and found exactly what I was looking for. I don't know what I was looking at before. I've built (3) fly rods with Forecast guides so far and I really like them. Guess I'll be building a spinning rod with them as well. Thanks again

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 06:49PM

Yes, I should add that you don't necessarily have to use the Fuji brand guides to implement the New Guide Concept System. Any guide style that gets you the height you need will work just fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 12:26PM

I myself like the Fuji Concept guides for spinning rods only because they give the right ring size, and always seem to put it at the right height for the line. Just make it a little easyer. For me any way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster