I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wholesale Pricing
Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.dixie-net.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:34PM

Hey guys,- Tom, sorry about earlier

I am currently going through the paperwork about to get my business liscence so I can get wholesale pricing, I am planning on starting to sell some custom rods to friends etc. What I am wondering is just how good is the discount, and what stores offer the best wholesale pricing. Im looking at opening accounts with Mudhole and Merrick Tackle. Mudhole mostly because they sell Winthrop Tool guides.

I have heard that I will be "very happy" with wholesale-so im guessing its like 25% off or so? If ya'll have any suggestions on vendors, I'd be very interested.
Thanks in advance

Stephen Altenbach

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wholesale Pricing
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.150.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:43PM

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. It only costs me $40 for a business license in the little town I live in, and I would rather be legal, so I am making my application for a license in the City Council meeting tonight. I guess I will find out soon what kind of discounts wholesale price represents.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:44PM

You'll find out in a couple of weeks. It's a big secret, but you need your secret Wholesale decoder ring in order for anyone from "the other side" to reveal the secret to you.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:45PM

You won't find that much difference in price between vendor's. What is more important is the service and how well they are stocked. Good prices don't mean much when you have to deal with back orders. Pricing depends on the particular items. Some things are not much off and some are fairly good.

Remember that there are other things to consider such as Sales Tax and the Federal Excise Tax that you must collect on every sale (Read the article in the library above on the Federal Excise Tax). Book keeping and keeping accurate records enters into the picture also.

Good Luck!!
Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:46PM

You had to pay for the business license, at a city council meeting? All we have to do in NY is fill out some paperwork,a dn we get our decoder ring in the mail a month later.

Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.dixie-net.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:54PM

To make sure im on the right track here...So far I've got my Certificate of Organization from Georgia (business liscence). I made it an LLC. And now Im working on getting my tax resale ID #....is this right?

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 03:34PM

I don't know about GA but in Texas you go to the county clerks office and file a DBA (doing business as) this ensures no one can use you business name but you. then you can file for a state sales tax certificate (number) then you can if you want open a business checking account. After the DBA and sales tax number are issued you then can apply for a Federal Tax ID number. If it is like it is here you must renew your DBA every 10 years

Date: September 12, 2005 04:19PM

I'm in GA. too. The form I filled out indicated that it was a license for business and a resale certificate. The little bitty town I live in only has about 400 people, but they only give business licenses after a presentation is made at the monthly city council meeting. I have been to past meetings, and it is not too much of an ordeal. They are just trying to keep "bad" businesses out, and not have people with big retail operations out of a house.
I just missed the August meeting, so put my whole project on hold. I did make up cards, set up a website, etc. This is the kind of stuff I do in my normal business, so it comes easy. We will see how the rod building business goes. Just want to build 4 or 5 rods a month until (and if) it gets going well enough so I can retire from the sales/marketing job and do this full time.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 04:20PM

Almost nobody sells at full retail, so in many cases the wholesale discount isn't going to be as deep as you might think. If you can get 25% off what you're paying now, you'll have done well. Do not be surprised if you only save 10% to 15% on many items.

Anyone who sells rods must file and pay the Sportsfishing Excise Tax. The article is in the online library here. There was a recent change, however, that now caps the tax per rod at a maximum of 10%.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 04:48PM

Tom, is that 10% or $10? Thought it was $10 but been a while since I read it.

Thanks,
Mo

Date: September 12, 2005 05:49PM

Steve,

Don't quit your day job!! Very few builders come close to making a living at it!!!

Mike

Date: September 12, 2005 09:20PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve,
>
> Don't quit your day job!! Very few builders come
> close to making a living at it!!!
>
> Mike

Mike;
With one daughter in college, and another one in high school, there's no way I could quit my day job. But, once their educational expenses are over I would like to be able to get more into this. I am thinking about reel repair also, but definitely don't have the time for that now.
I am not too worried about the tax/accounting aspect. I used to be in accounting, long ago, and this wouldn't be too scary.
So, at the very least, I will build a few more rods, have fun, learn more things, etc.
BTW, my business license application was approved tonight, and I came up with two potential new customers at the meeting!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 09:34PM

Good Luck Steve!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 10:13PM

$10 maximum, I hit the wrong keys. Thanks.

Date: September 12, 2005 10:24PM

Steve,

Good Luck! I wasn't being negative but have seen more than a few guys that were going to set the custom rod business on it's, only to never be heard from again. You have the right idea, go slow and build up to it.

Mike

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 08:32PM

Here in Alabama it's DBA also. I've done this "RodBuilding & Repair" thing for several years now and have a few dozen customers and my name is known to some of their friends & relatives. But, I'd need 4 or 5 times the business to just pay the bills, much less make a living. LOL. Rodbuilding is my best hobby and keeps my boat maintainance up to date plus a bit more. Someday!?!! Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster