I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unibutts, Aftco bored butts and confusion....help!
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 10:49AM

First off, I have read the stand up article in Rodmaker, Clemons 2 books, 1 video and done the search button and am still very confused on these specific issues..

My thoughts;

1. I want to use an aluminum butt. I do not like nylon Slick butts or EVA, etc..

2. I want to build a stand up rods 5-4 to 5-9 depending on the fish and method I am using (trolling or chunking).

3. The bored Aluminum butts from Aftco only have an inner diameter of 0.710". This really limits me in terms of blanks I can use.

4. I would prefer the Unibutts as I am used to them, but the Ferrule for the Aftco (or similar) UB2S is 0.875" and I need to cut the blank down to fit the overall dimensions.

Questions:

Do blank manufactures make blanks for Unibutts, so you do not have to trim?

Are there any other Bored Aluminum butts that are capable of taking a larger ID blank (like Calstar GF755XH or GF755XXH or Seeker TS55XXH - Similar fiberglass)?

If you have to cut the blanks to use Unibutts, do cut only from the butt or both butt and tip? Any sage advice on this as I don't want to ruin a $100 blank..

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really getting confused.

Ernie

ps. Initially I want to build a rod with a unibutt, wind-on guides, hypalon foregrip and a nice blank. All my big game fishing is stand up as my boat is only 25feet and I don't have room for a chair or post. I also don't like fighting fish from a swivel rodholder..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unibutts, Aftco bored butts and confusion....help!
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 12:31PM

Hi Ernie. I dont know of any company building special rods to fit in the Uni butts other than some companies like Harnell made a special line for the old IGFA line class style rods. I checked Cal Stars sheet just now and their IGFA stuff goes over 1" at the butt from 80# up. If you end up cutting the blank I would do it from the butt only because when you add the butt you will still end up with the same action (sorta)

If you have any questions please feel free to email me direct at docski377@aol.com or call me at 805 485 3089. I wont be back until 4 pm Pac time and if you cant get an answer it means I am on the computer. Just send an email and let me know you are trying to call. Hope I helped a little

Re: Unibutts, Aftco bored butts and confusion....help!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 12:49PM

Seeker's IGFA blanks are sized to fit the Uni-Butts. In fact, you can trim up to about 8 inches off of them and stlil fit the butts nearly perfectly. The last 8 inches of these blanks are non-tapered just for this purpose.

I'm not sure what others offer, but Pacific Bay, Batson, American Tackle, All-American Roller, etc., may all offer similar aluminum butts in various sizes. You'd just have to check their websites and see what they offer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster