I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

checkerboard jig??
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: September 10, 2005 10:25AM

Can anyone reccomend a saw to use with the checkerboard jig that Custom Tackle sells?Has anyone tried using these as a thickness jig?I was thinking a person might be able to shim a ring out to a desired thickness and slice.Any info or tips is greatly appreciated.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: checkerboard jig??
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: September 10, 2005 10:39AM

The one that works for me is the Stanley Flush-cut saw. Cuts on the pull stroke. About $8 at any Lowe's Hardware or Home Depot. Don't cut all the way through a ring until you have started all the cuts. This helps keep the wedges equal. I used the same jig with fender washers in the bottom to cut thinner rings, but was never satisfied with the cut. Custom has another jig for cutting thinner rings. It works well and is worth the money.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 10, 2005 12:03PM

I use the same "Flush Cut" pull saw. It is also sometimes called a "Japanese" flush cut. Works great. Use the slicing jig with washers behing the cork to make any thickness that you want. Here's a pic [www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 10, 2005 12:34PM

I don't know how this saw works with that jig, but this came up with Mikko Stenberg <[email protected]> back around Wed, 17 Aug 2005 here at RBO:

"X-ACTO" Brand 'EXTRA-FINE RAZOR SAW SET" Model # X239 / X75350 . Contains (1) Heavy-duty plastic knife handle, with (1) Extra-fine razor saw blade. Extra-fine razor saw blade has 52 teeth per inch (tpi) and blade thickness is 0.012 inch (0.30 millimeters). The tooth depth is right about or slightly less than the thickness of the saw blade (0.3 mm). Teeth cut only in one direction (as you draw = pull toward you). Overall blade dimensions: 5.50 inches long ; 1.25 inches deep. The backbone on the saw is 3 / 8ths inch deep (0.375"), thus reducing the effective cutting depth of the saw blade to 7 / 8ths inch (0.875"). [Unit conversion: 1.0000 inch = 25.400 millimeters] Available at MICHAELS craft store for ~ $10. I don't know if any of our RBO Sponsors has them as well. (I could not find them in the M-H or the SMRW Catalogs.) ... I bought mine for rod blank trimming, and simple cork cuts. I don't do checkerboard cork. ... ... LOL, ... -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 10, 2005 01:07PM

The X-acto saw blades that I have seen aren't wide enough to cut all the way through as the thick top edge on the blade prevents it from cutting all the way through to the bottom of the jig.

Mike

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.72.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 10, 2005 08:29PM

I used to use an exacto saw, but the biggest problem with them is that they are thinner than the jig slots. It was very hard for me to get not only straight cuts, but also consistent sizes in my wedges and I wasted a lot of cork. A while ago I found a 6" Saber Tooth flush cut pull saw at Sears and it fits near perfectly. I get great consistency now, and it goes through cork like a hot knife through butter, actually cutting the cork instead of "ripping" its way through.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 12:06AM

The only thing I use the exacto saw for is cutting through blanks. Works real well and you dont get ragged edges.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:14AM

My son picked mine up at Sears, also. It fits the jigs real well and cuts like a dream. I couldn't tell you if it's the same as Mick's or not; just know where he got it and that it works well.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster