I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC recoil guides - your opinion
Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: September 08, 2005 06:27PM

I have an expensive blank and want to use light guides with it. I have the REC recoil guides in mind, but I'm concerned about some of the things I've read on the phorum. People have said that they make noise and that the line doesn't shoot as well as with other guides, but Loomis uses them in their top-of-the-line $$$ rods.

What's your opinion of these guides? Should I use them or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC recoil guides - your opinion
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 07:23PM

The lines I have used on my Recoils all worked fine except the clear intermittent slime lines. I also use Zipcast on all my lines, but the slime lines.
I'm just about quit using wire guides on anything, but maybe the real light stuff. The all ceramic Alconite and Forecast guided rods I've made lately are a little heavier in tip weight, but so much nicer to fish. Shooting line to extend a rollcast has never been easier. The weight difference is virtually non-existent once you get the line out, than it's the weight of your throwing the line is what wears you out not the rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 07:25PM

The lines I have used on my Recoils all worked fine except the intermediate clear slime lines. I also use Zipcast on all my lines, but the slime lines.
I'm just about quit using wire guides on anything, but maybe the real light stuff. The all ceramic Alconite and Forecast guided rods I've made lately are a little heavier in tip weight, but so much nicer to fish. Shooting line to extend a rollcast has never been easier. The weight difference is virtually non-existent once you get the line out, than it's the weight of your throwing the line is what wears you out not the rod.

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:00PM

Jim:
Hello. I have the REC recoil guides on my GLX 5 wt. and they have preformed great. No problems with shooting line, even when I use a clear intermediate line. I have not noticed that these guides make a noise when casting.

Lanny

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 11:53AM

I have them on a one weight blank. They are kind of noisy and don't shoot line as well as ceramics, but they weigh almost nothing and still perform well. I would probably use them again if i built on the same blank. For a 3 wt or heavier blank I would probably use single foot ceramics.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 05:08PM

Hey Jim
RECoils are the only snakes I use (on customers' rods), and most of my customers want snakes, either single of double ft.
RECoils are noisy sometimes, particularly the REC strippers. That noises means friction. NiTi, they say, has about the same hardness as stainless steel. So there's no comparison between RECoils and ANY ceramics when it comes to shootability.

RECoils are great for 4 reasons, period: They are the lightest, they are solid, they are corrosion proof, and they flex.

You can buy PVD plated snakes and they'll be slicker than RECoils but that plating won't last.
Even chrome plating is slicker than RECoils but it won't hold up: the plating rubs off after years.

Long-last is major selling point for me. I try to build longevity into my fly rods. I show clients closeup pictures of grooves, cut clean through the plating, on 4-yr-old H&H snakes on an XP. I've never worn out a set of RECoils. I can accept a little squeaking.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: September 09, 2005 05:51PM

I like the RECs, but you need to use a ceramic stripper. That is where the noise comes from. I don't use wire at all on a 4 weight or above. On a really light rod, an argument can be made for the double foot, as they bend more than the SFs.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.co.kern.ca.us)
Date: September 09, 2005 07:37PM

I have used RECoil guides on many rods, from 2 weight thru 8 weight, and they are noticeably noisier than chrome plated stainless steel or ceramic rings. I just returned from a steelhead trip to the Skeena River in British Columbia, and several of the rods I fished were built with RECoil two-foot snake guides. One of the fishing guides with our group even commented on the line noise. (This rod has a Fuji TNSG SIC stripping guide, too.) I’m used to the noise now, and it is not a factor when choosing guides for a rod.

Having said that, I’m not sure I would put RECoils on an expensive blank having never tried them before. You might end up with a rod you don’t want to fish. I suggest you build a rod with RECoils on a cheaper blank first, or try and borrow a rod with these guides and fish it first.

Also, even though I like RECoils a lot, I do not use them for rods 9 weight or heavier, or for the salt. Notwithstanding their corrosion resistance, RECoils will wear out just as fast as standard plated stainless steel when abraded with salt and sand. I use Fuji TSG guides on saltwater rods, which are also corrosion resistant, quiet and durable. They really shine when that salty beast smashes your fly and rips off line like a rocket.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 10:34PM

For quality - go Fuji Titanium SIC -- and be done with it. You paid a high price for the blank put quality guides on it.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 11:54PM

I have a float rod I use for steelhead that I recently wrapped with recoils. REC makes spinning guides inthis model and the tip action is light and crisp as compaired to an identicle rod wrapped with conventional high frame guides. I made the mistake by going down to #6 ringed guides when I could have gotten away with size 8s. My reason for thinking this is because I am experiencing the line sticking to the blank as my float is drifting down stream.

Now as the water levels rise and the currents are a little faster this may not be an issue but for now it is. Before anyone tells me I might have the wrong spacing I have approx 11 guides on the tip section with the closest guide to the tip spaced 4.5" from the tip and every guide spaced 1". For example the second guide would be 5.5" from the first, 6.5 for the third and so on.

The line I use is Siglon F made by Sunline and I also use a JW Young Trudex II centrepin which uses a brass bushing instead of bearings and I can swing cast and wallis cast with ease. Friction IMHO with these guides for my application really isn't an issue. Had I used larger ringed guides on the tip the line sticking to the blank in SLOW current wouldn't be an issue I really like these guides and I probably would use them on my next float rod. I've heard some noise but to me it's really not an issue. The moise that comes form the guides comes and goes and more often than not, I don't hear any noise.

I'm open to exparamenting with all kinds of guides on my float rods. I still prefer the high frames and deciding which guide to use would be a tough decesion.

If you are skepticle and noise is an issue then by all means go with the ceramics. But, if you're willing to take a chance buy them and see how you like them. Chances are you will but then again you might not.

But like I said, I have them on my float rod and I probably would use them again because weight on the tip sections is an issue with me. Hoe this helps

Randy

Posted by: Mateusz Daroszewski (---.176-107-174.citysat.com.pl)
Date: July 07, 2014 05:45PM

Hello everyone, My name is Mateusz, I come from Poland but live in UK for 9 years.
I'm new to this forum, looking to gain and share knowledge and experience.

As I'm about to start building up my very first rod, I thought I'd refresh this topic. I have a Composite Developments
BLREXT284UL, ultra light 6lb, xfast/fast and the idea is to build up a perch (trout,panfish,bass) rod, casting up to 7g, with a soft, sensitive but fast tip
and nice strong (6lb, I know..) backbone at the bottom, designed to fish using soft plastic lures, ul jigs, very fine thin braid and Shimano TP 1000 FA.

REC guides seem to be the most appropriate solution at the moment..

Can you, please, share some more bad and good stuff about these guides?

With an UL spinning rod - would 20-12-8-6-5-4.5-4.5 + TFST 4.5 (3.5) work ok?
What do you think?

Thank you in advance
Regards
Mateusz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster