I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternative to Loomis PR9042S factory rod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 07:43AM

Hav a friend who broke this rod a couple of times, looking for an alternative blank to be wrapped. Specs on teh rod are as follows: pr904-2s 7' 6" medium power fast action rod rated for 8-17# line and 1/4-5/8 oz. lures. it's a gl2. He's looking for a one piece 7'6-8'er for conventional fishing.

Quoted from his post: "also it wil be used in florida from time to time for some red's and snook not only in the bay but inthe mangroves as well. i know some builders almost crap there draws when they know the blank and know what it takes to ripthem out of the mangroves but it works for me and its a blast. i don't want too much more back bone if at all. its about the sensitivity and action...."

Any ideas? So far someone mentioned the Loomis BB964, but I know teh guy does not trust Loomis anymore, and he also has had a couple of St. Croix Tidemasters break, so he's leery of St. Croix as well. Shikari, Rainshadow - anything else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative to Loomis PR9042S factory rod
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.us)
Date: September 08, 2005 09:57AM

Can't suggest anymore on the manufacturer's, but as far as actions.....maybe consider some of the hotshot blanks. They have as much, if not slightly more, backbone as the popping rods but extra fast tips. They work for me on the TX coast throwing anything from small live bait to soft plastics and topwaters. I use a Loomis HS9000-IMX, other manufacturers have blanks in similar ratings. If the guy has broken several rods it sounds as if he may be overstressing the rod and/or using blanks that are not the best suited for that type of fishing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:29AM

Find out what he is doing. Just how is he fishing, too light a rod, is he High Sticking it - weight of fish he is pulling in ??? Did it break near the tip-high sticking ?

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.us)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:38AM

The term "rip them out of the mangroves" speaks volumes. Sounds like he may be using high strength line outside of the range for the blanks he's using to horse fish out of heavy cover.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:59AM

It sounds like he's going to break whatever he uses!!

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:09AM

maybe a graphite/glass combo blank ??

Billy what about just go up several grads to a heaver rod If he wants the name ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2005 11:15AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 07:57PM

Have made a rod on the SWS Rainshadow blanks that has gotten rave reviews from the angler doing just as you discribed, "Combat Fishing" in the bridge pilings and mangroves. The SWS 5400 just might be it, the rod I built was on the SWS 540 which is one step heavier. Andy Dear recommended it for this application. The IP 965 might be a winner also by it's specs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster