I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe's - turning cork
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 05:38PM

What type of system do you guys have/use and like best for turning cork?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2005 07:52PM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe's - turning cork
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 07, 2005 06:15PM

For cork, the Grizzly Hobby lathe works fine. It has a bed, 1/2 HP drill and a stand for the drill and a stand for centering a mandrel on.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: September 07, 2005 06:15PM

I have a Grizzly Hobby Lathe and Andy's (Lamar Reel Seats) mandrels. Works great. A perfect match!!
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 07, 2005 07:42PM

Grizzly and Andys mandrels! Make sure you let Andy know that the mandrels are for a Grizzly for the right length and get the matching drill from Grizzley as some people have had problems getting their drills to fit! [www.rodbuilding.org]

If you even think that you will be doing wood in the future, you might want to consider a Turncrafter Pro or Jet Mini

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2005 07:45PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 07, 2005 10:59PM

I have the grizzly setup and I thought I would let you know that I burnt out the bushings in the drill after about a month.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 04:35AM

the JET Mini lathe with adjustible speed is great with Andy's mandrels modified to 12 in. long. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: September 08, 2005 07:20AM

Delta lathe with Andy Dear's mandrels.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:31AM

I thought a lot about buying the hobby lathe but decided to buy a Jet Mini with a 5 speed tranny instead. For me, the hobby lathe would have been a waste of money because after about three cork grips, I wanted to turn reel seat inserts. I don't believe the hobby lathe has the backbone to handle things like stabalized burls. I'm now using my lathe to make things totally unrelated to rodbuilding. The number of things you can do on a good mini lathe(Jet, Delta, PSI) is staggering, whereas the hobby lathe is extremely limiting.

Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:03AM

I use a Delta mini lathe with steel mandrels

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 03:00PM

Duane:

I have a Delta Midi lathe and use steel mandrels with a collet chuck. This works great for me. I purchase my own drill rod, cut them to the lengths I need and then drill out to fit the 60 degree shoulder on the live center. Andy Dear has mandrels for sale with most of the work done. I'm too Scotch to pay for something I can do for myself. You pick.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 03:00PM

Duane:

I have a Delta Midi lathe and use steel mandrels with a collet chuck. This works great for me. I purchase my own drill rod, cut them to the lengths I need and then drill out to fit the 60 degree shoulder on the live center. Andy Dear has mandrels for sale with most of the work done. I'm too Scotch to pay for something I can do for myself. You pick.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 04:50PM

I have a Turncrafter mini lathe and am using a drill chuck with threadded 1/4" rod for a mandrel for cork....use a washer and a couple 1/4 20 nuts on each end. I have a 1 1/2" long threaded extension (about .25 cents at tractor supply store)on the tail stock end ...I leave it sticking out about 3/4" so my live center fits in the hole centering the whole deal on the back end. Works great.....

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:44PM

Jet Mini variable speed lathe with Andy's mandrels. Very happy with all of it.

Stan

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 09:36PM

Just getting set up with a Jet 1014 and Andy's mandrel. Ordered the 3 jaw Scroll Chuck and
3/8" Drill Chuck from Penn State Industries. Up until now I have been turning cork on a Clemens Rod Lathe. This new set up will be vastly superior and carry me into turning wood inserts. Oh, also ordered a face shield today. By next weekend I should be up and running. Time to rig up one of Tom K's homegrown dust collectors!
Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 09:43PM

Dave,

I assume you mean the box fan/furnace filter? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster