I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light fly rod build???
Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 01:15PM

Need a little help making a decision. I am using a Cabelas blank PT series (progressive taper) 9’ 3 wt. I love fishing this rod for shallow water midge fishing and swinging wets. I think the extra length helps me cast to fish further away without spooking them. I built this rod as one of my first and it has done a great job for me thus far however I think I can build a lighter better rod now.

My question is this: If you were going to build any LIGHT fly rod you wanted, as long as it a Dan Craft :), for this situation what would it be?
9’ 2 wt FT?
9’ 3 wt FT?
9’3 wt sig III?

What about the 1 wt? What kind of fishing do you do with it??? Can it handle up to a 16 weighted nymph in a rookies hands? Do I really need the extra length. Mending is not as big a deal with the wets but I do fish from a boat a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light fly rod build???
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 01:59PM

Mike

I have a 8' 2 wt Sig III which is great for small stream fishing it handles both dries and beadhead nymphs size 12 to 18 very well to about 30 feet. Also have a 10' 3 wt FT which is a great rod from a boat, I use it from when I'm fishing from my pontoon boat, it cast a sinking or floating line great and has lot's of power. I thought before I built and used the 10 footer that it might be to long but have found that when sitting the extra length is a real plus.

Bob

Date: September 06, 2005 03:12PM

Thanks for the reply Bob.

Do you think the FT has too much power? Does it lose the "light rod feel" when fighting a fish? Where is most of the bend at on this rod? Does it all flex on a decent fish? Sorry for all the questions but I have no way to hold it and feel it without buying It first.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 04:39PM

Well it wasn't on your list...

But still the best trout rod on the planet is the 8'4 4 wt Sig V. Dan actually lists it as a 3 or 4 wt...but I think even he will tell you it is best as a lite 4 wt.

I haven't cast the two FT's..but I absolutely love my 7 wt FT. Way great....

And the Sig III has a very nice following....

The that little Sig V is simply delicious! Incredibly light, very responsive...in a word "Sweet!"

My two cents....But it is amazing!

Keith

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.236.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 06:14PM

keith and i are both sweet on that 8'-4" sig V. i have an FT 9' 4 wt 4 piece blank here at home and although the FT's action is pretty unique and cool, the overall lightweight category goes to the three piece Sig V.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: September 06, 2005 06:43PM

Mike

Most of the curvature in the 3 wt 10' ft FT with a fish on is in the top 2 sections, 5 ft, that is with a 17" brown the biggest I have caught so far, one would have to catch a real biggin to have it all flex. I am going fishing for 3 days next week to a place that has trophy rainbow so if I can catch a biggin will give you a report. Have found it quite sensitive and easy to detect a strike and set the hook. That length rod is tip heavy and I used a wood grip and it balances well. It is more like a 4 wt than other 3 wt's that I have cast.

Bob

Posted by: Mike Anderson (63.105.65.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 08:46PM

I already have a Sig V 9' 5 wt FT 9' 10 wt and just bought an FT 7 wt. I need a light rod. Thanks for the input however. That 8'4 Sig V must be the best rod on the planet because everybody who owns one raves on and on about it. Hmmmm,,,, Honey, I need another fly (((kang))) skillet to the head...

Thanks Bob that helps. I am leaning towards the Sig III. Any more input anybody?

Postman left my new FT 7wt blank on my mailbox beside the road today .He couldn't have know the value of what was in that box... Bad postman, bad!

Date: September 06, 2005 10:37PM

Mike

I am just about finished building a 9' Sig III 7 wt and from the test casting I did to determine the final guide spacing I think it is going to be one awesome rod, can't wait to get it on the water.

Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: September 07, 2005 02:22PM

I would build the ONE. The others are nice, but not really "Light rods" in my book. Should handle that nymph just fine.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 10:50PM

Mike,

The 9'0" 3wt Sig. III is very light and sweet. I have been using it and the 8'0" 2wt for small cutts in our area.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Date: September 08, 2005 07:34AM

Thanks All! I think the Sig III 3 wt will do for now, maybe later I will build the ONE.

Posted by: PETE TENNEY (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 07:49PM

Don't forget the special order Sig IVs. I agree that the lightweight Sig IIIs and Vs are wonderful...but I'm totally in love with my 5-piece, 1-weight Sig IV. And it handles BIG Montana trout with plenty of reserve...but protects 6X and 8X tippets superbly! Goes where I want it to, too...which, if you observed my casting "technique" , you'd know is ALL about the rod and NOT about the caster!!!

Posted by: PETE TENNEY (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 07:49PM

Don't forget the special order Sig IVs. I agree that the lightweight Sig IIIs and Vs are wonderful...but I'm totally in love with my 5-piece, 1-weight Sig IV. And it handles BIG Montana trout with plenty of reserve...but protects 6X and 8X tippets superbly! Goes where I want it to, too...which, if you observed my casting "technique" , you'd know is ALL about the rod and NOT about the caster!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster