I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing Fuji ECSM real seats
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 05, 2005 11:26PM

G'day guys,
Just a quick question at what distance from the rear grip do you measure the blanks diameter for the correct sizing of the Fuji ECSM exposed real seats. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing Fuji ECSM real seats
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 07:34AM

I measure the blank at the location I plan on having the reelseat at. Measure where you expect the exposed portion of the reelseat will be. After measuring, I get the reelseat that is the size smaller than what I measured. This way I can ream it out to fit the blank just right.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 09:28AM

Miles,

Knowing what size to order is a crap shoot at best due all the different tapers of blanks. Here's what I do. I measure the blank where i wish to place the reel seat considering the midpoint of the seat. Say the blank measure 10.5, I will then order a 10.0, 10.5, and a 11.0. Soon you will build up a good stash of the seats and not have to order one each time you get ready to do a build, instead just have do a fit.. They will take some minor reaming, however you do not want to use a reamer made of the Flex Coat reaming material because it is just too agressive and tends to tear thecut out portion of the seat. The first ones I reamed I just used tapered files and reamed by hand. Later, I made me some tapered reamers using 1/2 in strips of emory cloth. spiraled and glued to scrap blank sections using contact cement. I chuck these up in a hand held drill and they work really well.

I preferr to use the Fuji and Pac Bay cut out seats because they have a tapered bore whereas the Am Tac seats have a straight bore. I also have had corrosion problems with the Am Tac hoods even tho the rods are religiously washed down with fresh water after use in the salt H2O.

I have answered more than you asked, but what ever!!!!!

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 09:57AM

15mm carbon fiber tubing makes it a whole lot easier to get the right size. Just buy all your ECS seats with a 15mm bore, slide them onto the tubing, and instal tubing over the blank like a normal seat. OBviously, it might clash having the woven tubing look in the cut out, and of couse since there is a bushing & the extra weight of the tubing, the rod will be a total waste since it's now too heavy and not sensitive enough since the bushings suck up the vibrations....rolleyes, lol.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 10:18AM

Gerald

Any problems with the Forecast seats ?? Thanks

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 12:11PM

Bill,

I have not used any of the Forecast cut out seats, so I can not comment.
If you do, let know how they work.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster