I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nylon versus NCP Threads
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 05:37PM

If one was making a rod to be used in Salt water, would you recommend that the Threads be used be regular nylon or NCP.

The rods will get a lot of exposure to the sun when I am out on the boat.

I am wondering if the NCP breaks down under the Sun's UV rays and if the regular nylon with CP added will hold up better.

I would prefer to use NCP since I can avoid a step, but would use a CP if my colors would not fade out.

Thanks for your input,

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nylon versus NCP Threads
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 06:22PM

Thepurpose of CP is to maintain spool color when the finish is applied. Neither (nylon or NCP) will do anything to prevent fading from the sun. It won't make a diierence so use whichever you prefer! Keep in mind that NCP thread is fairly flat colored and looks more like a coat of paint. It lacks the brilliance of nylon IMO!!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2005 06:23PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 07:21PM

The light colored NCP I have used has faded badly after a few years in the sunlight. This is why no matter what I do I usually use darker colors for the main wraps and lighter colors for the trims.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:39PM

I beleive the metalics would be my choice if
I were concerned with color fading.

Just my 2cents

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:54PM

Some metallic threads are notorious for fading. Purple is one of the worst .

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:09PM

Lance,
I haven't used any purple yet. However, I use a lot of Guidbrod HT silver, gold, green, red, and blue.
Are you aware of fading of those colors? I assumed the metalic would, because of there reflective
qualities be less prone to fading. I have not used them long enough to bet on them though.

Thanks,

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 11:14PM

Raymond

I have had mixed results with metallics. I had a fade problem with purple and once with red. No other though and not even anymore with the red. I have also had ok results with puple lately. Why ? I have no Idea

Ernie.

I have had good result with both NCP and plain but then I use a bunch of CP. If you are really worried and want to save some work I would do a sample with the color scheme you plan to use and try NCP and plain also try each with and without CP. Then leave it out in the sun all day for about two weeks and see what happens. Like Mike says the nylon will give you a richer color.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 10:57AM

I've seen the lighter blue metallics fade, but the guy is notorious for leaving his rods out in his boat, uncovered, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 02:02PM

Purple Metallic thread completely looses all brilliance and completely changes to a dull dookey color after only a few months. CP does not stop it from happening in short order. Call it fade or uv damage if you will but there is no other thread that behaves this badly. I have several spools of J Metallic that will go to anyone who wants to check this out!

Gon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster