I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A good cheap bandsaw
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 04:05PM

I need to purchase a good, but inexpensive bandsaw for cutting reelseat inserts and other similar blanks from bowl blanks and other larger stock. I want the cheapest "Good" bandsaw, not a cheaply made one. Thank you in advance. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A good cheap bandsaw
Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.154.---)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:01PM

I bought a reconditioned bandsaw from Delta a couple years ago and it suits my woodworking needs just fine. Below is the web link.

[www.cpowoodworking.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:17PM

Sears has one for around $80

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:50PM

RALPH,

The Delta is good. But what ever you get be sure you can buy parts for it. I know you can buy parts and up-date pieces for the Delta. Band Saws are great, you can cross cut, rip, angle cut, scroll,

I bought an 18" JET , very well made, accurate, large table , roller blade guide, takes about 5 or more blade sizes.
It did cost me $1,300.00 , with extra blades, and a rolling stand

I do woodworking besides rod building

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2005 07:08PM

There is no such thing. There are good bandsaws and there are cheap bandsaws, but no good and cheap models. I suspect you know this.

Having said that, the tasks you're wanting to do are not particularly demanding so most any of the oriental benchtop tools from Delta, Jet, Ricoh or similar should work okay. The smallest models can be had for between $100 and $150.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 08:05PM

The answer is gonna depend on what you want to cut with it. If you want to cut straight lines or make accurate cuts in stock a couple of inches thick, I think you are going to be disapointed with the small saws. The diameter of the wheels essentially determines the thickness and hardness of the blade that you can run. The real small saws , 8,9, and 10 inch wheels, generally run a very thin, soft blade because the blade flexes so much and makes so many turns a heavier, thicker blade will break prematurely. Thus the blades don't have much set, dull quickly, and are hard to use in thick stock or to get a good cut. I ran a 10" delta saw for 25 years or so, but I feed it a lot of good blades and good real good at brazing them back together.
If you have the room and the budget, a 14" Delta is a hard saw to beat. When I decided I needed a new saw I hunted up a very old Delta 14". I prefer it slightly to the new model, but the newer saws are still a good value for the money. Lots of imitations. The Jet saws seem okay. I bought a 16" model for my shop at work. After using it for a while I found that they cut corners on some of the adjustments, etc. You might try the 12" Jet if that saves enough space and money, but that is as small and as cheap as I would like to go in a bandsaw.

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 12:46AM

I bought a 10" Delta Benchtop Bandsaw for cutting reel seat inserts and handles. It comes with a 1/4" blade which has too much play in it. I replaced it with a 3/8" blade and does wonders. I also bought the fence for it. It will cut 95% of the craftwood I have. I have cut 2" blocks of cocobolo, zebrawood, burl, etc, does I fine job of resizing for the lathe. I would not recommend it for accurate cuts, just has too much play even with a thicker blade, but for $100 it is great. I use my table saw for more accurate cuts. A friend of mine bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and he loves it. He can resaw small logs into turning blanks. He can cut very fine, consistent shavings off of 4" thick stock. He loves it and it only cost $350. If I get into serious woodworking, I would definitely move up to the Grizzly model.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 07:57AM

Just went to Lowes and had to choose between a Delta an a GM brand. Bought the GM on sale for 68 bucks. It is a nine inch bench top model with a lazer line guide. I'm very happy for the use I'm putting it to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster