I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rainshadow steelhead blanks
Posted by: vaughn darmer (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 06:33PM

there are two steelhead blanks made by rainshadow that are preferred
by NW fisherman. any one know the part numbers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rainshadow steelhead blanks
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 06:57PM

Vaughn,
I have built quite a few steelhead rods from Rainshadow and also their Forecast blanks. There are actually a large number of Rainshadow blanks that are used in fishing Steelhead here in the Northwest. If you mean conventional drift fishing with 8 to 12 lb. line then you are probably referring to the IST1024 at 8' 6" or IST1084 at 9', both of which I think make excellent drift rods. For bigger rivers and heavier water you probably want to consider the IST1085 at 9' and 10 to 17 lb. If you are plug fishing or bobber and jig fishing or using some other technique then there are also a number of blanks designed for those applications.
The above blanks are all two piece. They also make some one piece blanks like the IP963 and IP964 which are designed as popping blanks but can be made into excellent one peice steelhead rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2005 07:02PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 07:00PM

Vaughn, I've found that for straight steelhead blanks, I'm selling mostly IST1025's and IST1143's. The blnaks that Emory mentioned are also good steelhead blanks.

Jeff Hunter

Date: September 03, 2005 07:06PM

Yes, the IST1025 is a nice 8' 6" blank for bigger rivers and heavier water. I think that the IST1143 at 9' 6" makes a very good bobber and jig rod but for those that like a longer rod it can also be a nice drift rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.242.183.225.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:12PM

And I thought I was the only one who liked popping rods for steelhead. I find the 993's to be a ball with small spoons & spinners in the smaller coastal streams, especially if there are some sea runs in the mix.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 10:10PM

I've built several of the IST 1143's for driftfishing and in a pinch will also use them for float fishing. But my favorite float rod is the the IST 1263, and in a pinch work great as a drift rod! Either rod will handle any hatchery steelhead or silver but I tend to use a heavier rod for native steelhead.

Date: September 03, 2005 10:57PM

Spencer,
I extend the IP963's and the IP964's sometimes by 6 inches but usually by a foot to make them 9 feet and I think that they make outstanding steelhead rods. Extending them makes them somewhat faster action plus I am one who feels that a one piece rod is inherently superior to a two piece rod. It also results in a rod that does not have to compete directly with factory rods. They are not for everyone though because a one piece rod is a problem to transport for many people.

Date: September 03, 2005 11:05PM

Steve,
It is interesting and has been curious to me for a long time that as you go farther and farther up the West Coast the Steelhead and Salmon rods that people prefer tend to get longer and longer. We tend to use longer rods in Oregon then are used in California, they tend to use longer rods in Washington then we do in Oregon and the rods that they tend to use in Canada are longer yet. Alaska does tend to be the exception. As you go farther and farther up the coast the rods not only tend to get longer but they also tend to use rods with slower and slower actions.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 12:15AM

Anybody besides Spencer have any experience with the 993 for steelies......I really like lighter rods?

How does the Forecast 1024 compare with the Rainshadow 1024?

Keith

Date: September 04, 2005 12:36AM

Kieth,
I have built rods from both the Rainshadow 1024 and the Forecast 1024. The Rainshadow is a 43 million modulus blank while the Forecast is a 33 million modulus blank. I think that both of them are excellent blanks for the money. If price is not an object then I would pick the Rainshadow. It is a little lighter and will be a little more sensitive. On the other hand the Forecast will be a little tougher. The actions and power are very close.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 10:24AM

Keith,
If you've ever fished some of the Lamiglas mag taper steelhead rods, or the Bill Herzog Lami rods. Very similar actions in a shorter, lighter line weight blank. Lot's of appropriate power in the butt. I have a casting version, the son a spinning, and I've made a few others for older guys who fished the old Fenglass 8" 3" rods and the 7' 9" to 8 ft Berkeleys in the day. The rod I take to the Situk River in Alaska.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 12:09PM

Hi Spencer...Are you referring to the 993's or the 1024's?

I e-mailed you a question lastnight specifically about the 993...but it came back as undeliverable.

I'll try again right now.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 01:57PM

I changed internet provider yesterday and forgot to update my profile here. Guess I have one more thing to do when I get off a 12 hour shift. Probably wouldn't have seen it anyway since I'm at work before 6 am. Yes I was talking about the 993, I've found #3 Blue Fox spinners just slay them native steelies in Alaska ( no bait, catch and release river). The other Rainshadows are also fine blanks, have built on them all under 10 ft (my mom has a 1025 spinning).

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 02:55PM

I prefer the ist 1562 which is the 13' float rod rated for 6-10#line. It has enough backbone to handle the steelies and chinnies here in the Great Lakes and a soft enough tip to cusion the lightest leaders. For the money the rods CAN'T be beat.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 07:42PM

Emory,

It also seems that my rods get longer each year. Just a little more comfortable or less effort as we age maybe? Combine the theories and you have a bunch of kids in CA and a bunch of old geezers in BC!

Date: September 04, 2005 09:36PM

Steve,
Maybe you are right. I think that maybe I have been doing the same thing over the years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster