I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

intermediate level book
Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 08:22PM

So...I already know the basics of rod building and have made several with relatively straightforward design (i.e. two color wrap), but I want to take my thread work to the next level...inspired by the photos on this site. What would be the appropriate resource to learn the techniques? Tom Kirkman's book, one of Dale Clemens? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: intermediate level book
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 08:55PM

Although Tom's book was written with the beginner in mind it has much more than just basic beginner information. I think it would be your best choice. The Clemens book would also be good if you get the one on advanced custom rod building. The glass rod building book is very basic and not even in print any longer and the thread art book is only about thread art.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 10:00PM

If you want to get into more intricate thread art, Dale Clemon's book Custom Rod Thread Art is the one you need to get. You may have to read it then re-read it again and study and understand each chapter to fully understand it. Probably 95 percent of the patterns and designs you see on the photo page is a pattern or a variation of a pattern from the book.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2005 10:12PM

If you're looking to do more in regard to cross-wrapping, don't buy the book I wrote for Amato - it only has the basic instructions for a diamond wrap.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 02, 2005 11:33PM

If you want to really get into cross wrapping, consider getting both Custom Rod Thread Art (Clemens) and the VisualWRAP software. The book explains the basics of cross wrapping, and presents lots of patterns by describing their layout threads and what sequence to follow. The software takes this information and animates it, showing you how patterns develop, thread by thread, on your computer screen.

regards
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:07AM

Dave makes a great point - his software is probably the very best instructional aid and practical means for developing patterns that has ever been offered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster