I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threads
Posted by: Tom nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:39PM

I'm looking for some new thread colors. I know that sulky and maderia are used. I only find rayon at the couple of sewing shops. Is rayon to be used? Does anyone know where you can see the proper threads that sulky and maderia offer? Thanks for any help. I don't think I spell maderia correctly.

If first you don't succeed, go to rodbuilding.org.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threads
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 12:06AM

Tom,
I called Madeira here in the states and asked for a catalog. They sent me a catalog, two spools of thread, and a place near my home where I could order their products. They have a very large selection of colors. I buy a few spools of Sulky, mainly their metalics, at a local fabric shop.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 12:08AM

Tom,
I called Madeira here in the states and asked for a catalog. They sent me a catalog, two spools of thread, and a place near my home where I could order their products. They have a very large selection of colors. I buy a few spools of Sulky, mainly their metalics, at a local fabric shop.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 01:45AM

I have used a little Madeira Tom and I like it a lot. I havent done any flat wraps but for decorative wraps it works pretty good. I have been told that you must always use CP but that is what I do anyway. They have over 300 colors or shades.
I have also had good luck with Antron Robinson in metallics but have now clue where or how to get it. My last came from a rep for Pac Bay when they were here in So. Cal. There is still the occasional Holland thread that surfaces but you gotta be fast to get it. Unfortunately I have no info on Sulky.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 05:20AM

Billy V. talked be into Madeira alittle over a year ago. Now I want nothing but Madeira for crosswraps and flatwraps. (polyneon 40) Superior also makes a machine embroidery thread in a 40 wt that is very similar and really nice mettallics. Contact the companys for a catalog or color card, is your best bet.

I recently saw bulk spools of Robinson Anton mettallics ($15/spool) in all the colors and couldn't help but notice that the label says "J Mettallic" . Some of the vendors sell a "J" Mettallic in smaller spools, I'd venture to guess its robinson anton. .......just as "fishhawk" mettallics are YLI

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 06:55AM

THere is 4 years worth of MAdeira info on teh boards, search.

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 07:59AM

So are the rayon upholstery threads ok for guides?
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 11:36AM

Did you do a search?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 10:47PM

I don't think that any Rayon is suitable for rodbuilding, but you may want to do a search on rayon

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 11:26PM

Mike - there is one company where guys have liked the Rayon. THEre are at least 2 people who use this specific thread, Ken Preston being one of them. I do not rememebr the details, I say Rayon stinx and there is no need to use it with th ePolyster threads, but guys gota use the search to find out way more info than they'll get from one of us guessing what the answer is.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 02:41PM

Billy, That's why I suggested doing a search. This was very recently discussed and I THINK the consensus was not good.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster